mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Switched brake pads...lever is tight?

I have avid elixir 1 brakes and I recently wore out the pads. I took the old ones off and cleaned up the caliber then installed the new ones. The caliber was title so I loosened the reach adjust screw. The drag is good but now my lever is far out responds very quickly with no modulation.

Do I have to take some fluid out? If so where and how should I force it out?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EZuphill View Post
    I have avid elixir 1 brakes and I recently wore out the pads. I took the old ones off and cleaned up the caliber then installed the new ones. The caliber was title so I loosened the reach adjust screw. The drag is good but now my lever is far out responds very quickly with no modulation.

Do I have to take some fluid out? If so where and how should I force it out?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    1. Take the pads out.
    2. wash the caliper with OH, free of dust and debrise.
    3. Dry the caliper. Carefully lube around the pistos with whatever the brake fluid is, or a little bit of silicon-based lube.
    4. Push the pistons in as far as they will go, slowly and carefully. You can also crack open the bleed port at the lever and some oil may seep out while you are pushing the pistons. This is the excess oil that may be present. Remember to tighten the bleed port screw.
    5. Wipe off any excess lube around the pistons. You do not want to contaminate the pads or the rotor.
    6. Install the new pads.
    7. You may want to realign the caliper, centering the caliper over the rotor at this point.
    8. While sitting on the bike in the stationary position, squeeze the lever hard, holding it for a few seconds. Do this a few times. This resets the pistons/pads to the rotor.
    9. You may have to do a new bedding procedure with the new pads before you get full power.