mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Switch from Mechanical to Hydraulic???

I have Hayes IH2 mechanical disc brakes which are the same as the Hayes MX2 and I want to change out to Hydraulic disc brakes. I figured I would just buy a whole new setup if I can get a good price, but I wanted to get some feedback before I move forward. My riding style is mostly downhill in the mountains and some cross country. I ride fast and do some small 3-4 hits and the trails that I frequent are turn/drop off combined over and over. Here are a few questions that I have:

1. The brakes on my new bike have no more than 10 soft street ridden hours on them. Should I wait till they are shot and get the new ones, or should I try and sell them on craigslist or ebay and use whatever I get towards the hydraulic ones?

2. What is an honest price for the brake setup? Levers, cables, calipers, pads, the whole setup. I would consider them like new and in great shape. No rubbing, no scratches, they even look new.

3. Are there any parts on the current setup that can be recycled? Maybe the discs that are attached to the rims?

4. Does anyone know where the best place online or in Tucson, AZ is to buy a full brake setup?

Thank you for you feedback.

nooby from Tucson, AZ

Master of Disaster
    For entry-level mechanicals, you might be able to get $50-60 if you included the like-new rotors. That's close to what you'll pay for new rotors though making it a wash. Not too many v-brake bikes out there with disc-ready hubs ready to accept a cheap disc brake upgrade.

Even if it was just BB5's you were selling, you'd have a better shot since some folks might consider those an upgrade from their even cheaper Tektro/Bengal/Hayes mechanical brakes.

Lots of threads already on budget hydraulic brake suggestions.