mtbr member
    Dec 2005

SwissStop green or blue pads for ceramic rims?

I have some older crossmax v-brake rims. I've always used regular XTR vbrake pads even though I know I should use ceramic pads. I have the xtr ceramic pads, but they just seem so darn hard and rough, I'm afraid I'd grind through the sidewalls way too quick.

So today I got caught in a serious rain storm. First one I've ridden in in years. Well, to my surprise there were moments where I had literally NO brakes at all. None. It scared the heck out of me. I'm no novice, been riding/racing 20 years on rim brakes. But man, I don't recall anything like this. I've always had less power, but still some brake power.

So, I'm thinking I should be using proper ceramic specific pads.

The Swiss Stop seem to be considered the best.

My question is blue or green pads? The SS site says the blue are the ceramic pads, but many, many of the retail sites say the green ones are for both regular and ceramic rims. The green are much more common than the blue. I'm finding it hard to find any online in the US.

It's a long shot, but has anyone tried green and /or blue ss pads with ceramic rims?

Rub it............
    I'd go by the manufacturers recommendation, not the retailer. Go blue's with the Swiss Stops.

Go green if using Kool Stops.

BTW - on Swiss Stops website, they don't make a green brake pad for ceramic wheels. Only for aluminum.

ballbuster

Why not...

Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork
    I have some older crossmax v-brake rims. I've always used regular XTR vbrake pads even though I know I should use ceramic pads. I have the xtr ceramic pads, but they just seem so darn hard and rough, I'm afraid I'd grind through the sidewalls way too quick.

So today I got caught in a serious rain storm. First one I've ridden in in years. Well, to my surprise there were moments where I had literally NO brakes at all. None. It scared the heck out of me. I'm no novice, been riding/racing 20 years on rim brakes. But man, I don't recall anything like this. I've always had less power, but still some brake power.

So, I'm thinking I should be using proper ceramic specific pads.

The Swiss Stop seem to be considered the best.

My question is blue or green pads? The SS site says the blue are the ceramic pads, but many, many of the retail sites say the green ones are for both regular and ceramic rims. The green are much more common than the blue. I'm finding it hard to find any online in the US.

It's a long shot, but has anyone tried green and /or blue ss pads with ceramic rims?
    ... just use a ceramic specific pad? Are they that hard to find? I bought a few sets over the years for my Bontrager XXXLite front wheel that was on my race hardtail (and what a noodle that thing was). I mean, doesn't the use of regular pads grind off the ceramic coating?

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...V-Pads-Ceramic

There ya go... $8.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... just use a ceramic specific pad? Are they that hard to find? I bought a few sets over the years for my Bontrager XXXLite front wheel that was on my race hardtail (and what a noodle that thing was). I mean, doesn't the use of regular pads grind off the ceramic coating?

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...V-Pads-Ceramic

There ya go... $8.
    no regular pads clog the ceramic and wear down faster, the ceramic is on the wheel not in the pads
    the ceramic pads are harder material

ballbuster

Oh, I get that...

Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    no regular pads clog the ceramic and wear down faster, the ceramic is on the wheel not in the pads
    the ceramic pads are harder material
    but the ceramic coating does wear off after a while... especially if not treated well. The ceramic was worn off my rims from using them for so long. They had a zillion miles on them before I bought them used.

I was saying that if you use the wrong pad compound, it jacks up the coating. My coating was worn off, so I assumed it was form using the wrong pad compound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I went with the green Kool Stops. I like these much better than the XTR Ceramic pads that I've had sitting in my toolbox for years. The XTR pads are like rocks and actually make a grinding noise. The Kools are kind of an in-between normal and the XTRs. No noise. I've actually been using regular XTR pads for years on all my ceramic rims. No problems with wearing out the ceramic, stopping, squeal, nothing. Until I got caught in a serious downpour last weekend while riding on the bike path. I have ridden in rain many times, raced in downpours. Always had some breaking power even with non-ceramic rims. But boy, this time I had literally zero it was as if I had no pads on. Very scary. Granted, the XTR pads were well worn, but still. I decided to go the ceramic pad route just as insurance that in the future, maybe I'll have a bit better stopping power. I have no intention of riding in the rain ever again, but I got caught on a long ride.

That said, I wonder why no one except Mavic ever tried coating the rim sidewalls with something? I was thinking about road wheels too. Granted, no motivation to do it now on the MTB side, but you'd think that we'd have some miracle coatings on all road wheels that are non-carbon by now. Patent issues maybe?

Thanks for the info.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork
    I went with the green Kool Stops. I like these much better than the XTR Ceramic pads that I've had sitting in my toolbox for years. The XTR pads are like rocks and actually make a grinding noise. The Kools are kind of an in-between normal and the XTRs. No noise. I've actually been using regular XTR pads for years on all my ceramic rims. No problems with wearing out the ceramic, stopping, squeal, nothing. Until I got caught in a serious downpour last weekend while riding on the bike path. I have ridden in rain many times, raced in downpours. Always had some breaking power even with non-ceramic rims. But boy, this time I had literally zero it was as if I had no pads on. Very scary. Granted, the XTR pads were well worn, but still. I decided to go the ceramic pad route just as insurance that in the future, maybe I'll have a bit better stopping power. I have no intention of riding in the rain ever again, but I got caught on a long ride.

That said, I wonder why no one except Mavic ever tried coating the rim sidewalls with something? I was thinking about road wheels too. Granted, no motivation to do it now on the MTB side, but you'd think that we'd have some miracle coatings on all road wheels that are non-carbon by now. Patent issues maybe?

Thanks for the info.
    my bonty race lites had a ceramic coating