mtbr member

SwissStop Disc Brake Pads

I can't find a lot of info on the internet including searching here on SwissStop Disc Brake Pads. Has anybody used them ? if so are they any good ? I particularly need to know are they quiet in the wet as I live in the UK which obviously means a lot of wet rides.

Thanks for any info. Link to SwissStop site http://www.swissstop.ch/Mountain.aspx

ride hard take risks
    Your asking allot quiet and effective in the UK conditions. I personally like the semi metallic compounds as a do all in all condition compound, That evil word water is brutal on any brake including moto and auto.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    dogonfr Could you recommend a good semi-metallic pad.

Thanks.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    dogonfr Could you recommend a good semi-metallic pad.

Thanks.
    Normally I would say Galfer but they unfortunately have discontinued MTB brakes. Jagwire has the Blue pad they say is great for your conditions and is semi metallic.

http://jagwireusa.com/index.php/prod...isc_brake_pads
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not knowing what brakes you are using (which would be helpful) limits the recommendations of pads for your conditions.

A friend has used Swisstop pads in his front Stroker Trails in Irish conditions and they have been very good - silent, offered great braking and have lasted ~1000miles in mostly wet conditions. Proper bedding in is, as always, essential for longevity.
    I have a set of Swisstops for my XTs but I haven't used them yet as I'm waiting for my metal Shimano pads to wear out; they have over 1000miles on them and there is still plenty of life in them.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    We sell SwissStop and stock (factory) pads for most of the common brakes - the SwissStop is almost always the preference out here (Seattle is dry in summer, wet in winter). If you're having trouble with noise or vibration, SwissStop is often a solution. As others have said - anything will make noise in the wet - these just do better.

Be sure your rotor is clean and isn't glazed from overheating your old pads and make sure you bed them them in before hitting the trail. Also be sure to clean and lube your pistons when you replace the pads... it does no good to have a sticky piston and trash your new pads. =(
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB
    Not knowing what brakes you are using (which would be helpful) limits the recommendations of pads for your conditions.
    A friend has used Swisstop pads in his front Stroker Trails in Irish conditions and they have been very good - silent, offered great braking and have lasted ~1000miles in mostly wet conditions. Proper bedding in is, as always, essential for longevity.
    I have a set of Swisstops for my XTs but I haven't used them yet as I'm waiting for my metal Shimano pads to wear out; they have over 1000miles on them and there is still plenty of life in them.
    I didn't mention the type of brakes I have for a reason they are Avid Juicy 5's and I didn't want that to bias the pad choice thing. I got lucky with mine as they came on my 07 Stumpy FSR and they don't make a sound in the dry, I can't get them to do turkey sounds or anything but as soon as there is dampness in the air or the slightest puddle they are off squealing like Nutters. Thanks for the reply, I think I'll give them a try.
    Last edited by yetibetty; 09-05-2010 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Just went w/ Swissstop Disc pads

XTR brakes. I usually run a combo of Resin/Metal in the brakes and while the xtr factory pad have been good, these Swissstop's are awesome. Pretty dry here in CO, but the pads have great grip, no squealing at all. I have used Swissstop pads on my road bikes with good results, so I figured I would try their disc pads.. Highly recommended