mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Swapping wheelsets, hopelessly confused about brake stuff

Feeling like a complete newb here, appreciate any help the community can provide.

I have an Ibis Mojo SL. I'm running Hayes Prime Pro brakes with Avid rotors, 185mm in the front, 160mm in the rear. Front fork is an X-Fusion Velvet, which uses a post mount I believe. That's all fine and good.

I bought a 650b wheelset, which I should be able to run just by shimming the rear shock a bit. That's not my problem.

The issue I'm having stems partially from the fact that the new 650b wheelset uses SLX hubs requiring centerlock rotors, while my 26" wheelset uses six bolt rotors.

I want to be able to switch wheelsets back and forth on a whim, based on riding conditions, weather, and the phase of the moon or whatnot. The rear is no problem--my 160mm centerlock rotor mates fine with the rear caliper that's set up for the 6 bolt rotor for the most part. (There's a little rubbing, but I think I can adjust that fairly easy.)

On the front though, I'm confused. Shimano rotors seem to run 160 or 180mm, while my front Avid rotor on the 26" wheelset is 185mm. So I assume I can't just grab a 180mm Shimano centerlock rotor for the 650b set and have it mate happily with the caliper that's set up for the 185mm Avid rotor. That 5mm difference seems likely to lead to incompatibility (Or can I...?)

Both Avid and Shimano have a 160mm rotor, so I was thinking about just going that route for the front as well as the rear to make things easy. But then I'd need a new adapter to attach the caliper to the fork since I'm running a 185mm rotor (with required adapter) up there now. What is that adapter specifically called? None of the ones I saw online seemed right. It seemed like I needed a 160mm front post adapter, but the photos I saw online all seemed to have the screw holes in the wrong place...

I realize this is a bit convoluted, so I hope someone out there can give me some insight. I do realize that I could get a 6-bolt adapter to put on the centerlock hubs, and if I have to go that route I will. But I'd rather find a way to make the centerlocks play well on their own. Can't be that hard, right?

Thanks in advance,

-James

mtbr member
    They make 6-bolt to centerlock converters. Here's one:
    Amazon.com: Shimano SM-RTAD10 CenterLock hub (35mm) to 6-bolt rotor adapter: Sports & Outdoors

Cheaper than buying new brakes.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Get rid of the 185mm adapter and get a 180mm adapter.
    Get rid of the 185mm rotor and get a 180mm rotor.

If the 180mm centerlock rotor and the 180mm 6 bolt rotor don't line up with the caliper you can shim the 6 bolt rotor.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=757
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=356
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3288

Front fork is an X-Fusion Velvet, which uses a post mount I believe.
    If your fork has Post Mounts you'd need a 180mm PM to PM Adapter:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54881

If your fork had IS mounts you'd need a 180mm PM to IS adapter:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17390

Both Avid and Shimano have a 160mm rotor, so I was thinking about just going that route for the front as well as the rear to make things easy. But then I'd need a new adapter to attach the caliper to the fork since I'm running a 185mm rotor (with required adapter) up there now. What is that adapter specifically called? None of the ones I saw online seemed right. It seemed like I needed a 160mm front post adapter, but the photos I saw online all seemed to have the screw holes in the wrong place...
    ?
    If you were going to use a 160mm rotor you wouldn't need an adapter if the fork has post mounts, you'd bolt the caliper directly onto the fork's post mounts.

2 x 160mm rotors
    or
    1 x 180mm rotor + 1 x 180mm PM adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I know about the centerlock to six bolt converters, and if I have to go that way I guess I will. Was hoping for another option.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.