Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Swapping my rear brake - what all do I need

So I really hate my elixer's that came with the bike and am thinking of changing them. Got a couple questions.

First, I hate the rear brake. HATE. But I dont mind the front brake if I am being honest. Can I buy a new rear brake and switch it out and leave the stock elixer up front?

Next, what all do I have to consider when doing the switch? aside from piston, pads, cable and lever do I need to change anything else? It looks like I'll be going from avid to shimano.

Not sure if theres any other information I should provide for ya'll to help answer my questions.

Thanks!
    Greg

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Have you ever bled them? The factory bleed's not great, and if your front and back brake feel very different, bleeding them is likely to help.

You may need a different rotor if you switch. See if anyone has tried the rotor you're keeping with a Shimano brake. You may also need a different adapter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Have you ever bled them? The factory bleed's not great, and if your front and back brake feel very different, bleeding them is likely to help.

You may need a different rotor if you switch. See if anyone has tried the rotor you're keeping with a Shimano brake. You may also need a different adapter.
    Yea, I tried the bleed. Still not cutting it. OK I was wondering about the rotor. But when you say adapter, what exactly is that?

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    What's wrong with the rear brake but not the front??

The adapter is the little piece of metal your brake caliper is bolted to. Not all setups need them and you may not need a different one. A retail brake would probably ship with one. But people who ask The Internet are good at making things difficult for themselves.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx