mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Swapping brake sides

This is my first stupid question! I have a set of Magura Julie disc on my bike at present. Love the brakes, but the front is on the left, which i dont like. I have tried for a while to get used to it, but think it is time to swap. I have read the procedure for swapping hoses, and it seems relatively easy, but I am just about to hop on a plane, and dont have time right now, today to do the swap, and I am straight on my bike out of the airport. I have just swapped the levers round, and mounted them upside down on the bar. Does anyone know if this is likely to cause any problem, at least until I have time to sort it out properly?
    Thanks.

MONKEYMAN
    I can't think of any reason it would make a difference aside from cosmetic. If it rolls, RIDE IT MOTO STYLE!
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

not really an mtbr member
    Actually, some brakes don't like it when you flip the master cylinder/lever. You'll have to check the manual on the Maguras specifically.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by theextremist04
    Actually, some brakes don't like it when you flip the master cylinder/lever.
    If that's true then some engineer somehwere needs to get the smack upside the head.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    If that's true then some engineer somehwere needs to get the smack upside the head.

It is true. Some engineers do need to be smacked. My XTRs can not be swapped as the reservoir has to be on top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    ah but the ones that can't be flipped can be made so that you don't have to rotate them when bleeding. there's probably other benefits and limitations i don't know about besides screwing over the customer

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I cant find anything in the user manual that says the reservoir needs to be on top, so i will see how it goes for a couple of days until I can swap the hoses.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    nope can't swap the levers from one side to the other. you have to swap the hoses in the levers and rebleed the brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    why not?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You will be fine for the short time your on your trip. When you come back you will have to swap long term. If you cant swap while away, at least rotate them around overnight at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasEd
    why not?
    - You don't want air in the master cylinder (MC)
    - Air is less dense than brake fluid it will try to go to the highest point
    - When you squeeze your brake, you pump a small amount of fluid from the MC into the reservoir
    - When you release, you pull a small amount of fluid from the reservoir into the master cylinder
    - If your master cylinder is on top, this cycling will result in air entering your MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ok - i am suitably convinced, and i have changed them back. Guess i will just find time to do the swap properly! Thanks for all your replies.