mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Swaping XT DCLs for XTR DCLs

I've decided to make the swap from the XT DCL'c that came fitted to my bike for to a set of 07 XTR DCLs. I don't really have much experience with setting up hydro brakes and have a few questions.

Are the XTR DCL brake leavers compatible with the XT calipers, or do I need to buy XTR calipers as well?

Does the hosing screw out of the brake lever housing? i.e. can I simply unscrew the hosing from the XT DCLs and screw it into the XTR DCLs, bleed the brakes and be on my merry way?

Thank for any advice

Jon

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah the calipers are compatible..and you should be able to just move the lines from one to the other since both use a 0-degree connection at the lever. depending on the condition of the oilve you could need a new one...but you can try to reuse it.. I have done it successfully before..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks, that's very helpfull.

I've been looking on the Shimano site and have got a little confused regarding connecting the hoses to the brake levers.

Shimano state that for XT hoses SM-BH62 should be used (I assume these are on my bike as it's an XT group set) but for XTR hoses SM-BH96 are advised. As I'm not going to be altering the caliper end it seems that the only difference is the connecting bolt which screws into the brake lever. Is this correct?

It doesn't look like the connecting bolt from the XT hoses is the same as the XTR hoses, wan't to make sure I've got all the bits to hand before I start pulling my pride and joy apart!

the SM-BH96 hose is for the 960 XTRs... the 07 XTR (970) uses the SM-BH59 because the caliper and lever have 0-degree fittings..... your current XT hoses are 0-degree at the lever and 90-degree at the caliper..... so they should work fine with the 970 XTR DCLs (you only need to care for the lever connection now..since the calipers already work with the hoses you have)

check here to see the diagram for the 975 XTR brakes

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/sh.../BR-M975-R.pdf

and here the XT 765

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/sh.../BR-M765-F.pdf

you will see that the connection at the lever is the same...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks Crisillo, that's great. I've relised that the 07 XTR DCLs are supplied with hoses and mineral oil, gear cables etc. So I should get the required connecting bolt and new olives in the box. As you point out the caliper end will be untouched so as long as the top end fits it should be a fairly esy swap over.

Thanks for your help.

No problem.. glad to help..

it seems you are all set then!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Certainly does - now, where's my credit card...........