mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Super noob general brake question

first of all, i know very little about bikes in general. i only ride bike for exercise in the local bike trails (not mountain trails).

before this problem suddenly started, i can press the brake lever and it w
    anyways for some reason, all the sudden my brakes (they are not disc breaks, just the regular kind) lost a lot of grip. yes i tampered with the break tightness (but that is not the problem). it just feels that the brake just cant stick to the rims! as if someone have put dust on it. the rubber seems to have little friction against the aluminum.

so here's the question. how can i solve this problem. i changed brake pads to some other ones i had lying around (almost new), but mind you these are not the greatest break pads.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by cb1021
    first of all, i know very little about bikes in general. i only ride bike for exercise in the local bike trails (not mountain trails).

anyways for some reason, all the sudden my brakes (they are not disc breaks, just the regular kind) lost a lot of grip. yes i tampered with the break tightness (but that is not the problem). it just feels that the brake just cant stick to the rims! as if someone have put dust on it. the rubber seems to have little friction against the aluminum.

so here's the question. how can i solve this problem. i changed brake pads to some other ones i had lying around (almost new), but mind you these are not the greatest break pads.
    Clean the rims and pads with alcohol right after wahing them with water/soap and a brush. Sand both pads with a fine grit. Remove all the metal chips off from the pads.

This should help. Otherwise get new pads.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

You might want to check Sheldon Browns website on brake adjustment:

www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html

Or the park tool website:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...arbrakes.shtml

Both are personal favorites for finding good information.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks for the replies and info guys. i got much to learn.

any suggestion for a best-bang-for-buck brake pads? im not looking for high end, but would like decent ones.

"El Whatever"
    KOOLSTOPS.

hands down, no questions asked.

www.koolstop.com
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    warp2003, did what you suggested, cleaning the brakes etc. worked like a charm.

"El Whatever"
    warp2003, did what you suggested, cleaning the brakes etc. worked like a charm.
    Ol' trick from and ol' dog on a tight budget. I was always stretching life of every component on the bike
    Check my Site