mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Suggestions for silencing Magura brakes?

I have the MTS model brakes. They came stock on my carbon stumpjumper. If it weren't for the noise, I'd love them. I ran several sets of Hope's and a set of Formulas in the past and never had an issue. Do the stock pads suck? Running the Storm SL rotors. Higher speed braking will wake the dead. Anything I can do?
    Livin' the dream.

Maromero
    Not sure what pads your SJ runs, endurance pads are a litlle bit noisy, performance tend to be more silent. Another option before changing pads is to swap the position of your pads, just take of the retainer bolt and change sides of the pads, it has helped me. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Something seems weird. Maybe contamination?

My MTS8's are dead silent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolm4 View Post
    Running the Storm SL rotors. Higher speed braking will wake the dead. Anything I can do?
    On a similar note I paired up new hayes stroker trail brakes with maggy storm 160 SL rotors and did wake the dead time & time again only to eventually replace them with larger 185 avid clean sweeps and not another squeal was heard from break-in to numerous rides later. Harmonics play a key role I suspect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's the "hi friction" pads. I didn't have any issues today, but this particular trail is tight and twisty and don't have to brake at higher speeds. I'm going to pull the pads out later today and look at them. I'll try the repositioning advice.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolm4 View Post
    It's the "hi friction" pads. I didn't have any issues today, but this particular trail is tight and twisty and don't have to brake at higher speeds. I'm going to pull the pads out later today and look at them. I'll try the repositioning advice.
    not in my case, i gave organics a shot with the same result and quickly burned a pad groove in them in 4 hrs...no thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have no problems whatsoever with the back brake w/180 and discobrake semi metalics or koolstop organics. The front though with a 200 rotor is kind of a pain. The magura pads i did not like as they got grabby and started to pulsate quickly. So my routine is to sanitize the rotor every ride with cleanstreak. Every couple rides i pull the pads and sand lightly with 400 grit wet/dry paper and wipe with alcohol or clean streak and pay attention to caliper alignment. Not a perfect solution but it is what it is.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello Old School.

So you stated the brakes came stock on your Stumpy so I assume the pad compound may be 7.3 which is the hardest compound and longest wearing pads we make. This may be the source of your noises.
    The reason I say this is that the 7.3 pad will take the longest time to wear into perfect alighnment with the rotors. This interface is crucial not only for good friction but for also preventing vibrations which is the cause of the noise.

So, Either wear the hell out of the pads for a good few DH -like runs untill you are sure the pad interface is good or change out to a softer pad like the 7.1.

Another option is to find a shop or someone with a Park Tool DT-4 post mount disc tab facing tool to perfectly hand machine the mounting tabs on the frame and this will most certainly fix this and any future noise issue for your frame. (like when you replace worn out pads and all the sudden .... noise again!)

Let me know if we can help further or if you have any questions.
    Jude