mtbr member
    May 2013

Suggest a tight brake for me

I am currently running bb7's with 160 rotors on a new hardtail build. I have an issue that I pinpointed to play in the pads/pistons.
    If I am trackstanding, and lightly holding the front brake, the front end of the bike clunks back and forth slightly, like something is loose. I was convinced at first that the headset was loose, It's not. Then I thought it was my hub, it's not. maybe the QR, nope. I realized it's the brakes because the problem completely goes away if I clamp down really hard. It's only there when I use just enough pressure to lock the wheel while standing still. It's a very distracting sensation while concentrating on your balance as hard as you can.
    I did some googling and read that avid bb7's are known to have some play (up to 1mm) front to back in the pads and pistons, translating to several cm of back and forth roll. That play is overcome with heavy pressure. This is just not going to work for me. So I need something better.

Can you suggest to me a brake hydro or cable, that will feel rock steady at any amount of pressure?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anyone with BB7's ever noticed this before?

maybe shimano deores, the M596's? can anyone with those testify to their stability?

human dehumidifier
    Sounds like you're doing trials-style riding. Might want to look into these Trial Zone - Trial Zone Product Details

OTOH, if you're running a suspension fork, it's just a matter of time until bushing wear produces the same feel, if it isn't already.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone