mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Suggest some rotors

Heya everybody,

So I'm planning on getting myself a second wheelset. I'm going to take the stock wheelset from my Gary Fisher Marlin and put some slicks on them, and then use a pair of Mavic 317's or 717's as my primary wheelset.

In doing this little project, I'm going to obviously need two sets of rotors. I've got a set of Avid Juicy 5 brakes with the stock 160 mm rotors on my original wheelset, and I'm going to keep those right where they are. I'm looking for some options for the second wheelset.

Does anybody have any recommendations on rotors? Stick with Avid? Go XT/XTR? Something else?

I should note, my current hubs, and next set of hubs will most likely be a six bolt setup, unless somebody has a really really really compelling reason to go to a centerlock setup.

Also, how much of a problem am I going to have in breaking in these second set of rotors when my pads have about 3 months of use on them?

Thanks for the input!

Former Bike Wrench
    I've used Alligator rotors with both Hayes and Avid hydro brakes with zero issues

mtbr member
    Why not just get another set of rotors that are the same as the ones you are running right now?

I'm A Pedalphile
    In my experience, I haven't come across a rotor that stands out from any other. I'd stay away from any of the real crazy designs (the ones that are obviously focused on aesthetics), since they tend to make a bit more noise and chew through pads. I would just grab another set of avids or hayes.
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9