Trail Rider

Sudden 07 XTR squeal

I washed my bike the other day. On my next ride, the rear brake started making an awful noise. The brakes work but the noise is bad. Like the sound when they get wet, but worse. I inspected everything. The pads sill have much life left in them. I cleaned everything. That didn't work. I roughed up the pads and rotor. That helped a little, but not much. I then tried a little lithium lube on the points where the pads rest on the caliper. Last thing I tried was some disk brake quieter on the back of the pads. That didn't work, so I removed it. The springs appear to be on correctly( I never touched them), the and the pads move in and out properly. I'm thinking it had something to do with washing the bike, but it may be a coincidence. I cleaned my rear cog and chain with some citrus cleaner but, I didn't think any got near the brake. But I cleaned the pads with triclor spray and they didn't have any indication of contamination.
    I checked the caliper bolts and they were tight. My cog tool was too short to check the center lock ring, but I'll pick one up tomorrow. I don't think it is wear indicator of some sorts, as the pads look to be OK as far as thickness. Any suggestions? The noise happens when I use them lightly. The sound goes away when applying more brake.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Hold on a mo cos my 08 XT brakes have just gone down with the same problem, I am also starting to wonder about when I wash the bike cos I have tried the suggestions of the dealers such as get them as filthy as possible in mud and that will fix it but it comes back after a while or straight after I wash the bike. Another dealer told me he thought it was something to do with the oil in the spray from wet roads contaminating the pads.

Just like yours it makes the screeching sound like when they are wet, but they aren’t wet and when the get hot they get better but only slightly and it comes straight back when they cool. I’ve been trying all weekend to fix it but nothing yet.

Any help from you guys?
    [/SIZE]

Meh.
    If you used a bike wash or lube from the drivetrain might've gotten on the rotors/pads.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]No, because of this problem I have stopped using cleaning fluids last week and been very careful not to get water from the chain to spray on the brakes. I have been on 5 rides since the and washed it only with water from the hose but I am thinking once it is contaminated it may stay like it?
    [/SIZE]

ups and downs
    It's also possible you have one small bit of sand or grit that has ended up embedded in a brake pad, it may have been washed into the rotor/pad gap in the caliper and was pressed into the pad the first time you used the brake. The fact that the noise goes away when you squeeze them hard would mean you go from having one small contact point to a larger surface area when the grit gets pressed into the pad. You could just give the pads a bit of sanding with a coarse paper to see if that cleans up the surface.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I see you were probably talking to Quattro but I have examined my pads and there is no noticeable sand or grit, its definitely the type of screeching sound you get from water or oil as the brake struggle to grip properly to the disc.

I sanded the pads when I first got the brakes to get rid of some bad “turkey gobble” which fixed it but now a few months down the line I have a different problem, also sanding the pads is doing the same jobs as getting them muddy to clear and take a layer of the pad surface.
    [/SIZE]

Trail Rider

I took it for a ride...

I still hear a little squeal when I lift the wheel and squeeze the lever, only at first contact. All during the ride , I didn't have a single incident of squeal. Yesterday's ride was a nightmare. Maybe as RockyUphill suggested something got on the pad. I'll probably put a set of fresh pads in.
    Thanks everyone!
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mojo mofo
    I went through this same thing during the summer, nothing I did worked.

None of the tips did anything to stop the noise, the rear caliper even managed to develop a creak when I press the lever whether the bike is moving or not. I've heard plenty of people say that I must have them set up wrong, but with brakes that have no adjustments except for awkward and clumsy shims, that seems a bit hard to believe. I've had the LBS check them over as well. And yes, I've checked to see if they're properly shimmed many times. So now the rear drags 80% of the time, creaks when I press the lever and honks like hell when I'm trying to brake.

All I have to do is take the rear wheel off after each ride, use something to pry the piston back into the caliper and then I get about 15 minutes of proper operation at the start of my next ride.

I'm giving up and replacing them during the off season. Sad to replace what is supposed to be the top of the line ($$$) Shimano, but I can't stand them anymore. Guess I should have learned my lesson about Shimano brakes back in the v-Brake honk days. I put a set of Avid Single Digit SLs then and never looked back, the more things change ...

Meh.
    talkshow-host, do you have the older XTR brakes? Or the newer ones? What you're describing is fairly common with the older ones. The new ones don't seem to suffer the same issues... but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Mine does the same thing after a washing. It goes away within one ride. Lithium lube anywhere inside the caliper was probably a bad idea... With the heat generated inside that caliper, it could've broken down and made it's way onto the rotor and pad contaminating both...

mojo mofo

xtr issues

will, I have the 07 xtr brakes. I was a bit worried about getting them because I'd heard of the older xtr issues, but everyone seemed confident that the issues were resolved.

who knows, maybe it's just bad luck, since there are probably hundreds of people with no issues. either way the new Formula 'the one' brakes look pretty tasty.