mtbr member

Substitute for Hayes 6" Rotor

I want to try another brand of rotor for my Hayes 9's in an attempt to eliminate the pad squeal I'm getting from my back brake. Will Shimano's work?

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    I want to try another brand of rotor for my Hayes 9's in an attempt to eliminate the pad squeal I'm getting from my back brake. Will Shimano's work?
    Before you spend the $$ for a new rotor, why not see if cleaning your current rotor solves the problem?

Take some denatured alcohol and rub the offending rotor down well or take a SOS pad and scrub it. That will take the pad residual off the rotor. Then take your pads out and lightly sand them (piece of sandpaper, maybe 100-120 grit, on hard floor/surface and sand the pads in a figure 8 motion, wipe off and re-install). See if that works first.

If that doesn't help, I might suggest an Avid rotor as a replacement.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    Before you spend the $$ for a new rotor, why not see if cleaning your current rotor solves the problem?

Take some denatured alcohol and rub the offending rotor down well or take a SOS pad and scrub it. That will take the pad residual off the rotor. Then take your pads out and lightly sand them (piece of sandpaper, maybe 100-120 grit, on hard floor/surface and sand the pads in a figure 8 motion, wipe off and re-install). See if that works first.

If that doesn't help, I might suggest an Avid rotor as a replacement.
    Tried all that stuff. Don't want to use Avids because of reported problems with them.

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano rotors have too narrow of a track and your Hayes pads will hit the arms. Honestly, the cheap Tektro or Aztec rotors work great with the Hayes brakes.

I would recommend you change pads first though...most "permanent" brake squeal problems are from a contaminated pad (rears get contaminated easier from chain lube), not from a rotor.

Meh.
    More likely the pad than the rotor. Could be the compound or contamination.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    More likely the pad than the rotor. Could be the compound or contamination.
    Tried Hayes semi-metallic and sintered, and Galfers. All squealed. Even changed the rotor to another Hayes. Cleaned everything with alcohol and was careful not to get anything on the pads and rotors, including oil from the fingers. The front brakes have never squealed. Rear has ever since the bike was new. All bolts are torqued to spec and Loctited. Calipers are in alignment. Contamination isn't the problem. Changing the rotor to another design is the next step, as indicated in the FAQ.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just put on this serrated alligator rotor to replace the stock hayes rotors. They have been good so far. They are also lighter then stock at 92g each.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/162...rake-Rotor.htm

I never really had a squealing problem with my hayes though unless the brakes were wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have your tried using a metal brake pad on one side and a organic (resin) on the other side (each caliper will have one metal pad and one resin pad in it)? This trick works with Shimano brakes- why not Hayes? Do be aware that the resin pad will wear faster so one must keep an eye on the pad wear.
    I bike; therefore, I work

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Have your tried using a metal brake pad on one side and a organic (resin) on the other side (each caliper will have one metal pad and one resin pad in it)? This trick works with Shimano brakes- why not Hayes? Do be aware that the resin pad will wear faster so one must keep an eye on the pad wear.
    This trick also reduces the pad friction though, you'll have to use more force at the brake lever than compared to running fully metallic pads. It's great if you tend to lock up the rear alot because it gives you better modulation but watch out if your looking for max braking with the same effort.

El Pollo Diablo
    I'm rocking an avid rotor on the rear with my 9's...
    works great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Yes, Hayes sintered on one side, Galfer red on the other. Still squealed.