Thread: Stuck Piston

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Stuck Piston

On Thursday I was changing the pads on my Juicy 3's. The front went smoothly, but I ran into a problem on the rear caliper. It was a struggle to get the pads in, and when I put the wheel back on it would barely turn. I pulled the pads off and discovered the outside rotor doesn't want to retract without some effort. I put a little Tri-flow on it and worked it in and out but that didn't improve anything, Now it looks like I had it out to far and it's sitting crooked in the hole.

Am I looking at a rebuild and bleed? I'm not afraid to attemp it myself, but money is tight and Avid bleed kits are $40 - $50. I need to figure out how to do this on the cheap, so any ideas would appreciated. Anyone work for beer?

mtbr member
    so either my timing is awesome or there's lots of stuck Juicy calipers out there Like the OP, I was in process of changing pads on my Juicy 3's and encountered almost identical problem: can't push the pistons out wide enough to fit the new pads in. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am guessing the solutions to both our problems are similar.

in my case, if I push one piston in (with box-end wrench), then the other pops out - so it seems impossible to increase the gap between the pistons. I am guessing that this requires a bleed to remove fluid from the system, but 1) I don't understand how this could happen - isn't brake fluid supposed to have stable density? 2) as OP says, bleed kits are ~$40.

there is a prior thread with some tips on getting the pistons moving (Juicy owners, beware the sticky piston!, but this didn't directly address my issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I found the bleed kit on Amazon for $32 with free shipping. When I get it, I'm going to take the caliper apart and go from there. I hope it's just a clean up and maybe polishing the piston.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

stuck piston

did you end up doing the rebuild? I'm trying to follow the avid juicy seven rebuild instructions but when I get to the point where they say to use a compressor/air gun to push out the piston, it barely budges and won't come out.