bonkin' clyde

Stronger V-brakes?

I've been running a set of Tektros on my bike on campus for a while but they failed today. Frist off, the braking isn't nearly strong enough; it might be the pads, but I don't think Koolstops are weak, it must be the height of the brakes themselves which lends to a lack of good leverage. So I am looking for a set of relatively cheap brakes that have some good near-endo power. Any ideas?
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I swapped out my tektro's for some avid single digit 7's and was very impressed.They are light ,stiff, powerfull and work great with koolstop pads.

Live 2 Ride
    Shimano LX, XT, and XTR have a sweet feature called "Parallel Link" that allows the pad to stay parallel to the rim at all time. I have found them to be more powerful than any Avid brake. They aren't on the cheap side though.

I've heard good things about the SRAM 7.0 brakes and Avids.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Jensons is clearing out some OE Avid SD3 brakes. Pretty much the same design as the SD7, but heavier and silver hardware bits.

I've been riding with the SD3 OE brakes for 3 years and like them.

If you must have one of the best, many mail order places are selling an Avid SD7 levers and brake kit for around $80 complete. Not bad for top end stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I also recommend the avid sd7 with kool stop pad.
    Such combo can easily lock the wheels.
    I weight 160lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluronthetrails
    I've been running a set of Tektros on my bike on campus for a while but they failed today. Frist off, the braking isn't nearly strong enough; it might be the pads, but I don't think Koolstops are weak, it must be the height of the brakes themselves which lends to a lack of good leverage. So I am looking for a set of relatively cheap brakes that have some good near-endo power. Any ideas?
    I'm using SD7 brakes with SDTi levers. I would go with the SD5 or 3 if you are looking for budget. These way out performed my XT parrellel push brakes which end up with all kinds of slop in them when all the pivots start to wear.

Check out the ritchey extreme conditions pads in the red compound. I'm using these in the front and they are very strong.

bonkin' clyde

Resolved the issue

Hey everyone and thanks a lot for all the replies. However, I resolved the issue without a single penny being spent.

The front brake cable housing was pretty long and I'm talking about 30" long. What I found out was that the extra length had forced the very end entering the noodle to fold over itself, creating this kink that the brake return-springs couldn't work against. From the start, the bike had never had strong braking and I guessed it was the 'bad brakes'.

So yesterday I rode my '95 specialized hardrock campus-commuter (SS w/ one brake ) into the campus physical plant's 'lock shop' and removed the cable and housing. I had a mechie cut the desired lengths off the cable and housing, slipped them both back on, topeaked the hardware together, and rode back to class, and stopped at the entrance riding on my front tire! So the brakes are sick-strong now.

The real kicker is that I did all this in 15 mins and got back in time for Dr. Sokolove's lecture. I should be a shop mech.

robsetsfire, I'll def. check out the pads you mentioned as some riding on campus is through grass/watery conditions.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Good to hear you solved the braking issue. Setup is key!

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Or buy a set of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    A set just went for $115 buy it now. If you keep an eye out they go for less.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    SD Ultimates are awesome - I'd consider them over hydraulics if I was building a weightweenie bike.

Not too impressed w/my XTR's