Thread: Strong rotors?

Just Ride.

Strong rotors?

I live in Vancouver and ride lots of skinnies, unfortunately a wheel slip on a skinny often means that the rotor catches on the wood and gets bent.

Can anyone recommend some strong rotors that are at least somewhat less likely to bend and that will handle multiple straightenings.

(These will be for Shimano XT brakes, 180 front/160 rear)

Thanks!

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I can't think of any rotors that would stand up to that kind of abuse. If I were you I would look for the cheapest steel rotors I could find, and try to learn to fall in such a way that your rotor doesn't bite the dust quite so often.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Just Ride.
    This doesn't occur often and I'm pretty good with clean dismounts, but it does happen when you're pushing your limits on skinnies only as thick as your wheel.

A few examples of what I mean, took these vids on Seymour (North Shore, North Vancouver) a couple of seasons ago:

CBC Skinnie (Seymour, North Shore) from M.A.X on Vimeo.

Skinnie line from M.A.X on Vimeo.

I know some rotors are tougher than others, for example some of those alligator superlight rotors the weight-weenies on this forum are using look like they'll fold with minimal impact, while good quality avid G2 rotors have way more material and hence should take punishment and subsequent trueing better. I'm sure the quality of steel plays a role as well. Hence, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.
    Last edited by M.A.X; 04-10-2010 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    check out galfer rotors.

mtbr member
    Look at the Shimano RT76 rotors.

~Disc~Golf~
    Look at Magura HS33 Evos.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Just Ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Look at Magura HS33 Evos.
    Are those v-brakes??

My fork doesn't even have v-brake mounts anymore, plus for the other 95% of riding (not skinnies) disc brakes are just so much better.

Cool looking v-brakes though!

Just Ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Look at the Shimano RT76 rotors.
    Are those actually stronger or just more expensive/lighter? Seems like the outer part of the disc will still bend just as easily. Interesting rotors though!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.X
    Are those v-brakes??
    hehe, no bent rotors tho right?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out Hayes rotors - either the old round ones or the newer V-cut ones. Thicker and beefier than Avid or Shimano, especially on the "spokes." You can usually find them for cheap. I usually have to use a set of small washers between the caliper and adapter to keep them from rubbing on Shimano calipers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.X
    Are those actually stronger or just more expensive/lighter? Seems like the outer part of the disc will still bend just as easily. Interesting rotors though!
    They are not lighter. The aluminum carrier is very stiff, vs the all stainless rotors. I was just guessing if it's stiffer it must be stronger.

29 some of the time...
    Used to be that Hayes had about the thickest rotors. Not sure if that holds true to the new stuff.

Best thing you can do is to run a smaller rotor for additional clearance/protection. Because even the thickest rotor on the market will likely only be .050" thicker than the thinnest, which IMO won't make a huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.