Keep on Rockin...

Stroker, Elixer, K24s...

Another horribly vague "help me decide" post. Here it goes anyway.

New stoppers are needed for the 09' season. They'll be used for all around trail riding on a FS rig. Here's what I like.

Power. I like'm powerful. I will give up modulation any day. I'm a one-finger braker and still believe modulation is in the fingers. I always liked the on-off feeling of the older Hayes.

Ease of bleed.

Rugged. My old Hayes Mags are going on 5 or six years and their design seemed to shield them during falls.

Easy to get parts.

Lever position for one finger braking. This is sort of personal but found the Stroker to be a nice fit.

Weight is not that big a deal as most hydros are coming in around 50g of each other.

Thanks.

wuss
    I've been considering the Elixir CR, Formulas, M775 XT's and Magura. The XT's tempt me since the price is 25-30% cheaper here then the second cheapest one of the group and everyone keeps raving on how well they work and how simple they are to get set up... On the other hand I have too much XT stuff on my bike and would like to keep some balance...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My dad runs K24s with a a 203mm rotor front and a 180mm rotor rear on a Mojo. Great stonking gobs of power, not great modulation. They've been 100% trouble free, but don't see that much use.

My brother runs m4s with the same rotor setup on a heckler. slightly less initial bite with better modulation. These were bought used and needed to be rebuilt. The tools were cheap, the parts were cheap and the job was reasonably easy. Since the rebuild have been pretty good aside from a leaky crush washer (entirely his fault). They're fairly easy to bleed and he hasn't managed to break them yet. Actually he's got them because he busted an old hayes MC in a crash.

I run m4s with a 180 front and 160 rear on a Heckler. Considerably less initial bite, great modulation. I bought them because my brothers were easy and cheap to rebuild. I've had them for a few months and so far so good. I brake with one finger and can get good lever placement on my fairly wide riser bars.

All three of us are in the 210-230lbs range and my brother and I have logged in the neighborhood of 1500 dirt miles each over the last two years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am running the new XT's and I like them alot.