mtbr member
    Feb 2009

stroker ace or prime expert

I'm looking into getting a new set of brakes for my all mountain/freeride/DH bike to replace my Hayes 9's. I was pretty set on getting a set of stroker aces until I found out that I could get the prime experts for roughly the same price ($10 more for the primes). I'm looking for people who have had long term experience with either brake (I know the primes are new, but someone has to have put some real miles on a set).

I weigh in at around 200+lbs with gear and my wildcard is a bit porky, probably close to 40lbs.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ran the Stroker Ace's for about 2 years and can't say enough good about them. The most reliable maintenance free brake I've ever run or seen. I'm 215#'s on a 35# bike.

It doesn't have a lot of features, basically reach adjustment and that's it. Takes a little bit of time to get set up perfectly square but once you get it right you'll never touch it again until you need pads. Pads last FOREVER because they're so huge and I never ran into any fade issues even run after run at Northstar. Never had to bleed them, didn't have noise or vibration issues, reach stays pretty consistent. Best modulation of any brake I've ever run particularly nice considering the power they have, 1 finger braking for everything. Levers have a little play even new but they have a great sweep to them that is more comfortable than any brake I've run before or since.

I sold my 2 year old ones to a good buddy and didn't feel bad about it for a second, they're going to be trouble free for years to come. Now I'm sitting around waiting for my Saints to show up....stupid USPS. I got a great deal on the Saints or I'd planned on buying new Aces in black and gold.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Or, for about $40 less I could go with a set of formula RX's from competitive cyclist.
    Just another redneck with a bike

Short-Change-Hero
    What did you end up getting OP? Any reviews on what you got would be nice as I am looking at the Stroker Ace as a replacement for some ailing BB7s.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.