mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Stripped hole on fork where hose clip attaches. Best fix?

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I'm not sure what happened. Might have been crossthreaded when it was originally installed because there was some metal debris that came out when I removed the clip or I may have just effed it up myself trying to reinstall it. Help will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Zip tie or helicoil

human dehumidifier
    You can also find stick on hose guides
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It is only 2.5MM and is very low torque. My fix would be to shave a toothpick or something similar and thread it in with the bolt or tap it to 3MM. The problem with retapping is it is a very shallow hole and you would need a bottoming tap or modify an existing tap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I looked for a helicoil today but wasn't able to find one as small as needed. That was probably for the best though because I'm not sure how competent I'd be trying to install one that small.

No luck finding a stick on guide either, but I only checked a couple of places for those. I may order one if I need to.

I tried the toothpick trick and it seems to have worked. The bolt feels in there pretty solid. I'm still a bit skeptical about that solution, so I'm also using a zip tie, at least until I'm convinced the bolt/toothpick is going to hold up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There is a two part epoxy used in the boating industry called Marine Tex. You could completely fill the hole with it and then retap to original specs. Since it's a low torque application is should work just fine. You can find the stuff at lots of places that sell boats and/or boat parts. I would use the gray and not the white as gray has a higher tensile strength when cured. You will probably want to mix it up and put it in a syringe to apply. You can clean up any excess with a towel saturated in white vinegar before it cures. It's not a typical 5 minute epoxy and cures like a rock. I used it for different things over the years and it's great stuff.

Drill and tap to the next larger size. Easy peasy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well, here's how it ended up. Hmmm...that hole is shallow...wonder if I can even drill it out enough without drilling it deeper. Hmmm...turns out the hole to be drilled for a 3mm tap is 2.5mm. Hey, I have a stripped out hole for a 2.5mm bolt. Hmmm...I can't find a 3mm bottoming tap locally. Hey, what I'm screwing into is soft and this 3mm bolt is steel with a flat end. Hmmm...I think I'll see if this 3mm bolt will tap it--if I foul it up I'll just use a zip tie. Hey, it worked!