Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    aka Jesse Palmer
    Reputation: jp3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    855

    New question here. Stripped center-lock on first try?

    So I just got a wheel with a xtr center-lock hub (cheap/new from ebay). I tried to install a rotor using a Alligator 6-bolt adapter, and it didn't work out so well... I threaded the lock ring on by hand, but when I tried to tighten it, the lock-ring popped off at probably less than 2NM torque

    The alligator lock-ring threads don't look damaged at all, and I tried it again with a standard cassette lock-ring and the same thing happened...

    The lock-rings thread on with no resistance at all - they feel loose until they bottom out. The threads in the hub look deformed.

    What do you think, did I really somehow manage to cross-thread the lock-ring by hand on my first try!? Is it possible the threads on the hub were defective to begin with? I don't remember there being any resistance threading it on, and I have removed and installed cassette lock-rings dozens of times with no problems. In fact, I don't think I have ever stripped a single thread before.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    169
    Perhaps this is why it was on ebay in the first place. Some shop could have stripped it then sold it off cheap online. Personally, I find it very difficult to cross thread and strip a center-lock thread. The only one that I have ever seen stripped was a Altus level hub on a entry level Cannondale. In that case, it looked like some just got over zealous with the air tools.

    You could try using a lock ring with deeper threads, but ultimately the hub is ruined. Luckily Shimano XTR parts carry a longer warranty then their other product lines, just drop it by your LBS and get them to call shimano to take care of it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vk45de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    I would inspect it and contact seller.

  4. #4
    The Beast Breathes
    Reputation: mountain_bomber156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    727
    Centerlocks are dumb to begin with. First, you need a cassette tool to install them. Second, only one or two companies make them. Third, they are almost exclusively Shimano-specific.
    There was a story in the October (i think) issue of Mountain Bike Magazine in which Chris Carmichael messed up an otherwise perfect Leadville 100 run because his dumb-ass Centerlock rotor came loose and started rubbing on his caliper and slowing him down.
    But, if Centerlock is really your thing, go to a shop and have them inspect the threads.
    Last edited by mountain_bomber156; 05-03-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bomber156
    Centerlocks are dumb to begin with. First, you need a cassette tool to install them. Second, only one or two companies make them. Third, they are almost exclusively Shimano-specific.
    There was a story in the October (i think) issue of Mountain Bike Magazine in which Chris Carmichael messed up an otherwise perfect Leadville 100 run because his dumb-ass Centerlock rotor came loose and started rubbing on his caliper and slowing him down.
    But, if Centerlock is really your thing, go to a shop and have them inspect the splines.
    First, the OP didn't ask whether centerlock is a good idea or not
    Second, there are more than "one or two" companies making them and Avid is adding them this year.
    Third, what do the splines have to do with the threads stripping out?
    "It looks flexy"

  6. #6
    The Beast Breathes
    Reputation: mountain_bomber156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    First, the OP didn't ask whether centerlock is a good idea or not
    Second, there are more than "one or two" companies making them and Avid is adding them this year.
    Third, what do the splines have to do with the threads stripping out?
    One or two as in SHIMANO AND AVID!
    If you've seen my SRAM 2010 Spy photos thread you'd know I already know this.
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bomber156
    One or two as in SHIMANO AND AVID!
    If you've seen my SRAM 2010 Spy photos thread you'd know I already know this.
    and DT, Bontrager, Formula (hubs).
    "It looks flexy"

  8. #8
    The Beast Breathes
    Reputation: mountain_bomber156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    and DT, Bontrager, Formula (hubs).
    I meant rotors.
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •