mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. stripped brake post problem

hi, i have a giant atx990 tomac team edition. my problem is the brake posts have stripped out of the frame. that is the post is threaded to attach to the frame. it is definatly stripped some how. they will hold for now but i can not remove the brake bolts withouth the posts comming out an stripping more. how can i solve this. is there a way i can just pull the whole thing off and then sodder it on? will it hold??? due to no disk brake tabs i need to stay with these brakes.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by chirider990
    hi, i have a giant atx990 tomac team edition. my problem is the brake posts have stripped out of the frame. that is the post is threaded to attach to the frame. it is definatly stripped some how. they will hold for now but i can not remove the brake bolts withouth the posts comming out an stripping more. how can i solve this. is there a way i can just pull the whole thing off and then sodder it on? will it hold??? due to no disk brake tabs i need to stay with these brakes.
    What you need is some new brake bosses. I believe your frame should have removable brake bosses. They just screw into there. I have an extra set i can sell you if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you can weld and re-tap the threads, or use a heli-coil type thread repair insert. I would use the helicoil. I don't know what size thread it takes, but most are available. I found this info on the helicoil inserts FYI

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    What you need is some new brake bosses. I believe your frame should have removable brake bosses. They just screw into there. I have an extra set i can sell you if you're interested.
    i believe what you are calling the brake bosses are what is stripped out in the frame. the frame is what is stripped. where the bosses thread into the frame. i wish it could just be the bosses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OLAK
    you can weld and re-tap the threads, or use a heli-coil type thread repair insert. I would use the helicoil. I don't know what size thread it takes, but most are available. I found this info on the helicoil inserts FYI
    thanx i have thought that this would be a good way to do it but i just wanted someone else to let me know that it would work.

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    Make sure you know the thread pitch as it can be slightly odd sometimes. For example on my Giant MCM990 it's M10x1.0 as opposed to the usual M10x1.25.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanx i have thought that this would be a good way to do it but i just wanted someone else to let me know that it would work.
    Only downside is that you have to buy a kit that will do about 10 inserts. but I guess you could sell it on ebay minus the insert u used

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    loctite makes a product called "quick metal" you thread those posts in there with some of that stuff and leave it alone for a couple days with no stresses on it and you'll have a better chance unthreading the headtube off the frame than those posts.

It's not a reversible deal, but you shoudn't ever have to take them off either. Depending how badly stripped they are the gaps might be too much for quickmetal. Max cure is about 72 hours.

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/660.pdf

They also make fixmaster pourable aluminum epoxy, it's basically a heavy duty 2 part pourable epoxy with AL powder in it. You have to love it when they can say you can flat out use it to cast AL parts. It also cures a bit faster from what I see than quickmetal, about half the time.

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/FIXAL.pdf

Both are in thier industrial catalog, my guess is you could order them from any bearing or bolt supply shop. I would guess either of those were be a serious fix. I'd probalby use the fixmaster stuff myself, but i'm guessing you can get a small tube of quickmetal cheaper than the 1lb kit of fixmaster.

Todd