mtbr member

Strange Problem with Juicy 5's

Hi Everyone,

First of all, sorry if this has been brought up before but I didn't even know how I could search for this specific topic. If you want to send me a link to another post, that's fine.

I was riding a few days ago with a friend who just bought a new bike. He has never had hydros before. This was the second ride on this bike and there was no evidence of fade possibly due to air in the line.

Anyway, we're riding along and only climbing at this point in the ride so he had not been using the brakes to this point. Suddenly, his front brake starts squealing once per rotation. First thing I started thinking is that he might have a slight warp in his rotor but if we try to realign the caliper, maybe that will get us through the ride.

We stop to take a look and it's actually worse than that. I wanted to give the wheel a spin and watch the rotor move through the caliper but this resulted in less than one full rotation. The pads had really squeezed in and were pressing on the rotor from both sides. Remember, we were climbing up to that point so there was virtually no use of the brakes. There was a very slight bend in the rotor, less than 1mm deviation so nothing serious based on my previous experience.

We pulled the front wheel out and forced the pads out a bit to open up the gap, put the wheel back in and gave the brake lever a couple squeezes. Nothing. Lever went right to the handle bar. Repeated squeezing did not result in any improvement.

Does anyone have any comments on what might have happened. Any time that I've done this with my Juicy brakes, they've reset back to normal with only a couple pulls of the lever. Isn't that what they should do?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Steamer19; 09-29-2008 at 09:55 AM.

mtbr member
    No suggestions from anyone?

Girt by sea.
    Air in the line expanded as you climbed, closing the brakes.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yup...

sounds like a bleed issue. If the bike is new the LBS should take care of it. Air bubbles can hide in little corners and crannies inside the caliper or master cylinder. Rattling around on a trail (even climbing slowly) can shake them loose and they'll migrate into the MC causing problems. Or it may have been introduced into the system though slightly loose fitting. Being it's a new bike on a factory bleed you never know. Factory bleeds aren't always perfect, you are looking at mass prodcution afterall. Have him get it back into the shop and describe the problem to them in detail. They should make it right and shouldn't, I would think, charge him anything for it. I know at the shop I work at if you bring a hydro equiped bike that we sold in within 90 days or so with a problem like this, and there is no evidence of tampering, we'll bleed em for you for free. It's probably just a poor factory bleed. But do get it to the shop. There are other things that can cause similar problems that may require a rebuild or replacement of the brake to make it right.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. It does make sense but I wouldn't have expected it to run well for one ride and then do this on a second ride.