mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Strange problem with front Hayes HFX...

This is kind of a strange problem to me, but I'm new to hydraulics, so maybe it's not...

My front brake is rubbing more and more as I ride it more. I just went and got the bike out of my trunk, and it's so tight I could barely get the rotor between the pads.

When I first put these on, I shortened the line and then bled them. On the first ride, there was lots of squeaking etc... but it went away within 15 minutes. The next ride, I didn't notice any rubbing. Then the bike was parked for awhile (rainy, so I was riding the roady) and the next time I rode it I definitely noticed some rubbing, but it was more like the rotor was a little warped. I didn't think anything of it.

But now this. Can heat make brake fluid expand, pushing the pads farther out than normal? Do I need to grease something? Seems like my pads aren't returning all the way. I could just push them in, but I'd like to find out why this is happening...

TIA!

eat my pantaloons
    When you bled were the pistons pushed all the way back and held there using the plastic insert? If not, that is your problem.

If you did do that, try pushing the pistons all the way back and see if they stay there or move out again on their own. They shouldn't move until you put the wheel on and start squeezing the lever. If it starts rubbing again try this: push the pistons back then put the wheel on and slip a business card between the pad and rotor on either side and then squeeze the lever. This should set the proper gap between the rotor and pad.

Yes, heat makes the fluid expand but it would flow into the master cylinder and shouldn't cause a problem - you may get pump-up (and in the worst case brake fade) but that is a different problem from the one you're having.

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    This is kind of a strange problem to me, but I'm new to hydraulics, so maybe it's not...

My front brake is rubbing more and more as I ride it more. I just went and got the bike out of my trunk, and it's so tight I could barely get the rotor between the pads.

When I first put these on, I shortened the line and then bled them. On the first ride, there was lots of squeaking etc... but it went away within 15 minutes. The next ride, I didn't notice any rubbing. Then the bike was parked for awhile (rainy, so I was riding the roady) and the next time I rode it I definitely noticed some rubbing, but it was more like the rotor was a little warped. I didn't think anything of it.

But now this. Can heat make brake fluid expand, pushing the pads farther out than normal? Do I need to grease something? Seems like my pads aren't returning all the way. I could just push them in, but I'd like to find out why this is happening...

TIA!
    "Success consists of moving from failure to failure without losing heart." -Winston Churchill