dsj
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Smile strange brake question

I have a hardtail Marin MTB frame that I'm swapping my hybrid bike parts on to. The frame is setup for disc brakes but my hybrid wheelset is set up for rim brakes. I know some disc frames have brake bosses that are unused but for some reason I only have a center hole above the wheel on the cross support.

Do I have any brake options? I really want to do this conversion, the frame I'm using now is a fantastic 79 Raleigh Carlton, it's got beautifully lugged steel but using old frames with newer parts is frustrating.

thanks!

mtbr member
    So what? No V brake bosses huh? Maybe they want you to use caliper brakes.... might as well let front end do all the braking.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    To answer your question - if you don't have brake bosses for cantis and from what you've described you don't, then you have no choice but to get discs which also means a different wheelset to the ones on the hybrid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If it's a 79' bike, you won't be able to use disk brakes. Your option is to use some falvour of center pivot brake, such as this:

dsj
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yeah, I have a long reach canti set on the 79 frame but I don't think they'll switch over to the MTB frame. The Canti's are so bad at braking, especially the rear, the flex in the caliper is rediculous.

I might see if I can get a set of brake bosses welded on but for now run with front brake only. This is purely a commuter bike, and it rarely sees hills but it would be nice to have the extra brake power in the rear.

If I figure something out I will post some pics.

Meh.
    Maybe you can try something like this.

http://www.danscomp.com/489051.php

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think there's some confusion here. There is a bike, a '79 Raleigh Carlton that is the parts donor. There's a frame, a Marin hardtail. The Carlton has rear cantilevers and the Marin has disc brake tabs only.

To the OP, the best thing you can do is to buy a new wheelset and Avid BB7 road disc brakes. If you don't want to spend the money then there aren't too many good options for you. Anything that doesn't involve a disk brake setup potentially is going to be dangerous. Adding cantilever bosses to the seatstays on a bike that wasn't designed for brake bosses on the seatstays isn't a good idea, whether they're welded on or if you bolt a plate onto the frame. Do it right.

Almost forgot. Resist the temptation of installing a BMX side-pull brake onto that seatstay bridge as it was not designed nor intended to have a braking load placed on them and you could end up damaging the frame if you do it.