mtbr member

Storm SL vs. Ashima

I have some pre 2008 Magura Marta SL brakes and the front stock wavy rotor is a little warped. I figured i'll use this opportunity to upgade to some lighter rotors. I'm using magura pads, the non-organic compound. I'd like to keep my current pads if possible.

So, which rotors would you pick? I can get the Ashima's cheaper but I don't want to have to worry about any durability issues. Ashimas are about 10 grams lighter than the storm sl's too.

Thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    I actually went from the wavy rotors to the ashimas to the storm sl's. I liked the wavy rotors until the end when they got a bit jittery (2009 Marta SL Magnesium). I liked the ashimas because they look good and are really light (not too bad on the power either). I quickly went to the storm sl's and like them too. Sure they're a bit heavier (and more expensive) but are more durable and are a Magura product (in case that means anything to you). I know that in 2009 the pads changed in the Martas and the new rotors are designed for those so you probably wouldn't be using the full rotor (designed for a bigger pad), but I'd say go with the storm sl's.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    What size of discs are you guys talking about? Both the 203mm and 180mm sizes are almost identical in weight (both Magura discs together are 2g heavier than the Ashima Aro-08).

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Go with the best option for Magura brakes...Magura Storm SL rotors! They are way better and lighter than the Wavy rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical_53
    What size of discs are you guys talking about?
    I'm running 160's

Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Go with the best option for Magura brakes...Magura Storm SL rotors! They are way better and lighter than the Wavy rotors.
    I agree
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Yeah I was talking about the 160's too. The ashima's are about 10 grams lighter in that size and a little cheaper. I think i'll go for the Storm SL's though. I'm sure the Ashimas are fine too but the Storm SL gives me a little more confidence as far as durability goes.

Lessinia expert
    I'm in the process to buy the full Magura Marta Magnesium kit with Storm SL rotors. Your opinions are the same by far. It seems that Storm SL is the perfection. Any cons?
    Italian Marathon biker who collected Prestigio MTB award in 2010-2011-2012!

mtbr member
    I actually went with the Ashima rotors. I had an amazon gift card and ended up getting a pair for less than $10 so I thought I would try them out.

So far they're great. Quiet, and no loss of power. They make a little noise when the lever is squeezed, not a squeak or a squeal though. Almost like a "shhh". You can barely hear it. I think it's just how the cut outs in the rotor interact with the pads.

Overall, a good purchase. I would reccommend them.

Members who have read this thread: 0