Thread: Sticky Piston?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Sticky Piston?

Hello All,
    I've just taken delivery of a new bike with Avid Juicy 5 brakes suffering from severe brake rub. There appears to be no space between the pads and the rotor on the front (the rear is working fine). I've centred the caliper with no effect. I've also tried removing the wheel and pushing the pisons back, this cures the problem initially but it quickly returns. I've also noticed that once I release the lever, it returns to it's starting position very slowly (it takes approx twice as long as the lever for the rear).
    Could I have a sticky piston? If so, how do I cure it?
    If not a sticky piston, what else could cause these symptoms?
    I have yet to ride the bike (pedals have not arrived yet!), could this cure itself with time and use?
    any advice appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Brand new bike should not have a sticky piston.

No idea...

Meh.
    Maybe the piston seals are just tight. You could try pumping out the pistons, cleaning, lubing with a glycol based DOT fluid or silicone spray, then work the pistons in and out several times.

It's also possible that air in the system is affecting piston movement. It's not uncommon for factory bleeds to be inadequate. I prefer to bleed all new brakes anyways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Problem Cured

All fixed. I just continuosly pulled the lever and pushed the piston back it when it jammed. It did the trick, looks like it was just tight seal. Thanks for your replies.

Meh.
    It's also possible that the piston was sitting slightly cocked. So when you pushed it back in, it straightened out.