Thread: Stans Rotor ?

LBS Manager

New question here. Stans Rotor ?

Do Stans aluminum rotors wear realy fast? I asume they would wear faster than steel rotors but I want to know just how much faster. If anyone has used them and can tell me just how fast they wear I would be thankfull.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The coating on the braking part of the rotor prevents the aluminum from wearing. Once the coating is worn off, then all bets are off. The coating is supposed to be durable and long wearing, but you can get them re-coated when they wear down. I am giving this information based on what I've read, and have no personal experience with the Stan's rotors.

Meh.
    It depends largely on what kind of conditions you ride in. Mud and dirt will take that coating off like it's nothing. It also depends on pad compound. Sintered pads are "softer" and less abrasive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It depends largely on what kind of conditions you ride in. Mud and dirt will take that coating off like it's nothing. It also depends on pad compound. Sintered pads are "softer" and less abrasive.
    actually IIRC they only recommend you use non-sintered organic pads. Presumably the sintered pads wear the coating off. I have a buddy that uses the Stans Rotors and is very happy with the weight and pretty happy with the braking performance. It is pretty common knowledge that the organic pads don't have quite the performance of a sintered pad so even if the rotors are just as good a steel rotors you will take a bit of a performance hit just because of the required pad.

An related aside to this is that there are a couple of other companies making a similar product now and you can find them on eBay. Interestingly they recommend using them as only the less stressed rear brake (that's what I am planning on doing with a 90 gram Hope 2-piece on the front). That way I can be at full power with a lightish steel rotor/sintered pad up front and lightweight aluminum rotor/organic pad combo in the rear.

I live in Co. where the braking requirements are pretty extreme if your fond of descending so the steel front is a must (for me at least), if you don't wait till the last second to brake and/or live somewhere with short downhills then you could probably get away with both being aluminum and organic...

Meh.
    My bad, I had meant to write organic. That's what I get for trying to post in school.