mtbr member
    Jul 2009

sram xx-r leaking caliper

so my '11 enduro came with SRAM/avid xx-r brakes. today during pad change I found the paint on the rear caliper flaking off and when i squeeze the lever it pisses hydro fluid. is it worth fixing or should i just upgrade to XTR trails? There is no fluid around the pistons or line. To replace is a PITA to find a caliper that matches and cheapest i found is like 250 for another 350 i can just get the XTR's i would rather have SRAM warranty the caliper but do not have the original proof of purchase. anyone have experience with SRAM, know what i would have to provide for them to warranty?

Tool
    Your warranty experience with Sram will likely depend on your relationship with your LBS more than anything. Sram typically doesn't like to talk to end customers, so if you bought online, this may be tougher, but perhaps the online vendor will go to bat for you. If whoever sold the brakes won't attempt to warranty with Sram for you, it can't hurt to call them yourself. It sounds like the type of problem they'd be happy to warranty since, absent any signs of abuse, it's a very unusual problem as far as I know.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    If the warranty dosnt go ahead, why not just try and repair the problem? Buying a whole new caliper seems like a bit of an overreaction, unless there is something i'm missing here?

Have you not noticed a change in lever feel? There isnt a lot of fluid in the system to start with, i'd expect fluid leaking to change the feel quite a lot (ie the lever will pull back further)

mtbr member

SRAM is excellent with warranty

Assuming you purchased the brakes legitimately (i.e. not off of ebay or second hand or through some other shady arrangement), SRAM is very good when it comes to warranty issues. It will need to be handled through the place of original purchase.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I cant order the parts sram only sells the XX as a kit. so caliper, rotor, lever lines. My LBS is going to look at it today. The XX brakes came on the bike from specialized.

As far as the whole caliper being overkill. the line is not leaking nor the piston so the fluid is coming form elsewhere.

the lever pulls almost all the way to the grip i thought it was a bleed issue but obviously not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My LBS is working with SRAM but the rear caliper is toast. I could get XTRs all around, the caliper only comes as a set when you order so that's some wasted parts. or extras. i doubt my LBS is gonna just give them to me. i don't want my bike to be down for a week to replace the rear caliper then have the front go out in the near future and be OOC for another period of time.

mtbr member
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/GP..._spc_rev_a.pdf

The link above is the parts diagrams for all of Avid's products with part and #'s.
    The 2nd link is the SRAM XX technical manual which actually shows you how to do a rebuild on the brake caliper.
    And finally the 3rd link is the service manual for XX, XX-WC and XO brakes.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/iY...cal-manual.pdf

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/zu...nual_rev_b.pdf

Your bike shop should be able to order the spare parts to repair the caliper. I would ask them exactly what is wrong that makes the caliper "toast". Unless it has a groove etched in the actual caliper body where the piston fits in it I don't know what could not be fixed by a rebuild. The shop can even buy new pistons, piston seals, etc. and rebuild the caliper.

At one point I actually pulled the lever too many times when the brake pads were out of my xx calipers and the pistons shot right out, fell on the floor and sprayed brake fluid all over. I just followed the instructions in the technical manual, reinstalled them and then bled the system. They have been fine for over a year.

A point for everyone is to read up on the components on your bike like you are doing here. Most bike shop mechanics I have dealt with have no fricking idea what they are doing half the time and it is easier to just tell you to buy a new full rear brake then it is to do the research and fix it. No one cares more about your bike then you do. I wouldn't trust a shop to build any of my bikes anymore. I actually taught myself to build wheels and now build them for myself and my brother in-law who races pro cyclocross and mountain. Rode a set of wheels I built him to a Master's podium at Nationals just a few weeks ago. I'm not a mechanic by trader either, just patient and meticulous.
    Last edited by bikeguy0; 01-26-2013 at 08:52 PM.