mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Sram xx Brake Adapter for 180mm

My wife broke the lever on her xx back brake and so I ordered a new one. The original was a 160mm disc and the set that i replaced it with was a 180mm disc. Because the set did not come with an adapter that I could use on the bike (Ellsworth Truth) I was forced to mount the new brake on the existing 160mm disk.
    We live in Kenya and a long way from bike shops and ordering things can be a bit of a pain so I thought that she would be able to get by with this set up - it seemed to work ok when I mounted it anyway and really I can't complain too much about how their performance now. The thing is only that there is so little space between the pads and the disk - i can see only a fraction of a mm of light on one side. The rub is very slight though and while it probably does not slow my wife racing I do wonder if I have done something that is a no - no.
    and so my question is this : was I wrong to mount the calipers to a different size disk than the one that came with the set ?
    thanks for any ideas, jamie

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The only difference between the 160mm and 185mm Avid brakes is the adapter size. So if you're using the old adapter with the old rotor, then you will have no problems at all.

The caliper just needs centering. Usually you can center the caliper by loosening the bolts that hold down the caliper, holding down the brake lever, and tightening those bolts back down. Sometimes you need to center the caliper over the rotor by hand (make it so that there is an equally small sliver of light between both pads and the rotor when looking at it from above). Or, the pads are too close to the rotor and need resetting with the red Avid pad spacer. It might take some patience to get the thing centered.

Also, check your PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cheers. Thanks. They began to work better after an initial break in period. i have a feeling that it was simply getting the new pads to get along with the old disk. thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hi sir were can u buy a spare brake lever for sram xx?need help for my broken sram xx lever i hit a tree during a ride, not a strong crash but i was surprised to see the lever clamp break...the cylinder where is bolt break..i cant find any replacement in bike shop they no spare parts at all...please mtbr help me in this problem tnx in advance...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I found that I could not buy the lever on its own. I had to buy the whole set which was rather painful.....