mtbr member
    Nov 2011

sram XO front brake 160mm question

Hi

my bike came with a front 180mm rotor on my XO brakes. I removed the adapter and installed a 160mm rotor up front. My fork is a RS sid RL 29er. Do I need some washers on both side of the caliper bolt? It originaly only had washer between the caliper and bolt head, not between the fork tabs and caliper.

I looked at my other bike which is equiped with XX brakes and 160mm rotor on a fox fork, it has washer between caliper-bolt head and between fork tabs-caliper

thanks for help

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Should be cps( caliper positioning system) washers on either side of caliper
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    Should be cps( caliper positioning system) washers on either side of caliper
    what if the bike didnt come with these on both side?

the disc looks to be perfectly positioned with the brake pads...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure how you could change the cant of the caliper without washers on both sides
    Check out the link post #7

Avid Elixir Post Mount Problem/Question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    oh thanks

why didnt it come with the needed stuff already? Hope my LBS has some arround the shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure. Whats odd is how you could have the caliper spaced away from the rotor with no washers

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    humm I just had a closer look, the rear caliper has no CPS at all, only a very thing washer. The front only had the CPS between the bolt and caliper.

As it is installed right now, the front caliper looks position the rotor perfectly in its brake pads...

Im quite confused, the bike is brand new, and its a 2013 model, maybe avid droped their CPS for 2013? Could it be that I remounted the caliper the wrong way and should have put the washer between the fork and caliper instead of the bolt and caliper?

thanks for helping me out, much appreciated

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    trodaq

I just found a reply from a Bikerumor editor writen in march 2012 saying the CPS was going away for the next XO generation.

Im pretty sure the caliper will move a bit too far away from the rotor if I add the whole CPS hardware in there...

look up here, run a word search for CPS. THe XO trail and regular XO got the same treatment apparently

2013 Avid Four Piston X0 Trail Brake - First Ride - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It states in another article that the caliper body was made thicker at the mounting surface to make up for the lack of washers. Having a cup and cone washer on one side would not do anything, So its a little confusing

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    well in the pictures I found there was only washers between the bolt and caliper on the front brake and there was nothing at all on the rear brake.

putting washer would offset the rotor/brake pad alignment.

In any case, is it safe to ride my bike?