mtbr member
    Nov 2009

SRAM XO or Avid Elixir CR SL

Is there any benefit, other than the weight savings, to upgrade from Avid Elixir CR SL brakes that some of the Stumpjumpers come equipped with, to the SRAM XOs? The bike will be used for general cross country riding in the desert southwest with occasional long, steep downhills.

Thanks for your replies.

T.W.O.
    I'd say that they are essentially the same brake, XO line is targeting the trail riding, AM. I think it's the same brake with different decals. Of course in you case the casing may be a bit lighter on the SL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I guess I was wondering also if there was a performance benefit to the XO.

FM
    mtbr member
    I've had CR SL's for about a year, and just got a set of XO's. Same bike and same rotors too.
    Only two rides on the XO's so far, both have been in wet, muddy conditions, and the one difference I have noticed is that the XO's are totally silent in terms of squeal. I wonder if it's due to the switch from mag to alu, or perhaps different pads.

Otherwise- power feel etc feel about the same. In fact the CR SL's feel a bit better as I just bled them, and my bleeds are definitely better than the stock bleed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the replies mimi and FM.

FM - do you think the XO's are worth the additional $200 to upgrade from the CR's? Do the XO's require any more maintenance?

FM
    mtbr member
    Nah, I'd spend the money somewhere else.
    I love the XO's... but the CR SL's are %95 as nice and have tool-free lever adjustment.

Members who have read this thread: 2