mtbr member
    Sep 2011

SRAM Brake Question

I have a new Jamis Dragon 29 Sport that came with the SRAM Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes. In shipping, there seemed to be a leak and the brake finish was coming off when the bike was new. It was covered under warranty, so the bike shop ordered a new set from Avid. However, it seems they don't make the Juicy brakes anymore. They said they were sending Elixir's to replace them. What are your thoughts on if they are better, or worse, than the Juicy's, and what Elixir is comparable in quality to the Juicy 3's.....Elixir 1, 3, 5, 7? I assume the 3's, but not sure. Any info you have is appreciated. I just don't want Avid to send me cheaper replacement brakes on a new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
    I have a new Jamis Dragon 29 Sport that came with the SRAM Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes. In shipping, there seemed to be a leak and the brake finish was coming off when the bike was new. It was covered under warranty, so the bike shop ordered a new set from Avid. However, it seems they don't make the Juicy brakes anymore. They said they were sending Elixir's to replace them. What are your thoughts on if they are better, or worse, than the Juicy's, and what Elixir is comparable in quality to the Juicy 3's.....Elixir 1, 3, 5, 7? I assume the 3's, but not sure. Any info you have is appreciated. I just don't want Avid to send me cheaper replacement brakes on a new bike.

The Elixir's will be better.........Avid will not send you a inferior set-up.

you are getting an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Brakes arrived at lbs today and they are Juicy Ultimate's. Still looks to be an upgrade of a few levels. The reviews are good on them, so we'll see. At least Avid has good customer service (or Jamis, whichever processed my warranty claim). Either way, going to get them put on Friday morning. Hopefully, it stops this God-awful turkey warbling sound that my Juicy 3's have been making on downhills.