mtbr member

SRAM bails on 09-11 XX brake levers

Ok, a little backround first. I'm a service manager of an lbs. A local racer brings in his very expensive carbon race bike with worn out XX brakes. He says like 10 races and they are like this. The push rod assembly is totaly shot. No reach adjust at all. So I order up the 09-11 XX lever rebuild kit. Doesn't fit. Ok, call Sram tech support, new one in the mail. I recieve the same thing I already have. Still doesn't fit. After a few more phone calls, I get an email to send some pictures. After no response, I call again. Turns out they don't make the proper parts any longer. I'm told to salvage parts off the worn out bladder/pushrod assembly and put them on the new one. I have to reuse the springs too, because the new ones are "updated". One is bent and clicks every time the lever is actuated. Also, the main lever pivots are worn and work their way out of the lever body. Sweet, loctite is the only thing holding the brake levers on. And these are what, $600 brakes? And I'm scavenging parts on a year old system? I'm told that Sram engineers may have a better solution, but nothing ever comes. Surprise. In the end, I got the brakes repaired, but they are sketchy as hell.

SRAM, you truly dropped the ball on this one. This is my first complaint with you, but it is epic in my book. You failed to support one of your most expensive products.

Buyers, beware. The reviews on this very site will back me up on this.

SANCTUS
    I know of more than a few riders with the same problem, the fix? they were replaced with Shimano.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I also went thru the SRAM runaround for a year or so. It all ended once I went with Magura...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is why I'm leary of SRAM. Not the same brakes, but I've got some newer Codes and when they failed, they sent me brand new brakes. That would have been awesome if the rear brake wasn't busted right out of the box!