mtbr member

Sram/Avid Matchmaker X problems

Hi all,

I've bought myself some Avid XX brakes. They came with Matchmaker X Clamps which i would like to use with my XX triggers but have a problem.

The clamps appear to be too small, not just for my bar but any. I've tried them on numerous bars and can get the clamps shut without the brakes on, but if i try to fit the brake i cant get the clamp to close enough and allow me to tighten the bolt...

Has anyone come across this ?

I don't know if its the clamp at fault or the brake lever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have not had any trouble using the Matchmaker X. Some photographs of your set up that show how it is not working for you might help someone diagnose the issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Having this same exact issue. The clamps are too small, I can get it to work, but it is damaging the brake body. I will post pictures later tonight.

mtbr member
    I bought a new set of bars which has helped - i can get the clamps on now but they still aren't 100 %

Not sure what to do with them to be honest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    I bought a new set of bars which has helped - i can get the clamps on now but they still aren't 100 %

Not sure what to do with them to be honest.
    Have you noticed any damage to the brake body where it butts up against the bar? On mine since the clamp ridges aren't seated where they are supposed to be on the brake body they are damaging the body where they are clamping on top of it. I'd check - mine are pretty bad and I was just lucky to notice one day.

mtbr member
    I haven't, it was such a hassle to get them on i haven't had them off to check.

I basically removed my grips, put the clamp on the brake with the bolt in only 1 thread - slid it along the bar and tightened it up. I know what you mean though about the clamp not sitting in the right position on the lever body.

I know what the problem is, too much paint on the curved bit on the brake body - the bit that touches the bar. Skim the paint off and the lever will move further in towards the bar thus solving the problem.

It''s just how the F*** to skim the paint off without damaging the rest of it

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    never had problems with the x clamps on my elixir 9 with either my easton ea70 or my current haven carbon bars. you arent installing them right if you have any problems getting them on.

its kind of tricky when getting them on the first time so you should try and start the clamp bolt and clamp on the brake lever so you can slide them on the bar from each end. this is the easiest way until you know how to get the clamps on just right with the bolt going through the lever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    never had problems with the x clamps on my elixir 9 with either my easton ea70 or my current haven carbon bars. you arent installing them right if you have any problems getting them on.

its kind of tricky when getting them on the first time so you should try and start the clamp bolt and clamp on the brake lever so you can slide them on the bar from each end. this is the easiest way until you know how to get the clamps on just right with the bolt going through the lever.
    I have no problems at all getting them on. The problem is when they are on they do not fit right and its causing damage to the brakes.

Just FYI - I have brought them to two shops and both mechanics agreed that there is something wrong. Called up SRAM and they claimed nothing could be wrong, so they send me new matchmakers, which are exactly the same as the old ones. Thanks SRAM. Also, Ive tried with many different bars. It is not the bar size. Heres the pics so you can see:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram/Avid Matchmaker X problems-img_20120328_080407.jpg  

Sram/Avid Matchmaker X problems-img_20120328_083054.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's the exact same thing i have.

You can see the problem - the brake lever body is sitting too far out from the bar - this means that the hole through the centre doesn't line up with the matchmaker clamps holes.

I took mine apart and found the bolt has scratched the paint off the inside of the hole on the lever right into the metal - which confirms the above.

So that's two of us with the exact same problem....

Are yours 2012 as well ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yes 2012. It doesnt look like SRAM is going to help me out here, I guess I'll just ride the until they snap off - then buy Shimano.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    See the pic of the levers - is that just paint damage or has the brake lever body actually cracked ?

Now that we know we both have the same issue have you thought about phoning sram again (im in Europe so Sram USA will not do anything) and explain the problem ?

Obviously a bad batch from the mould or just a fault with the design on the 2012 lever.
    There is actually a major crack on both sides, which worries me a lot. Maybe you could take some pictures too so that I can send them to SRAM so they know its not just me being crazy? I guess it is entirely possible that it was a bad batch from the factory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Somehow my last reply ended up on top of yours. Time travel!

mtbr member
    See the pic of the levers - is that just paint damage or has the brake lever body actually cracked ?

Now that we know we both have the same issue have you thought about phoning sram again (im in Europe so Sram USA will not do anything) and explain the problem ?

Obviously a bad batch from the mould or just a fault with the design on the 2012 lever.

mtbr member
    yeah no problem. Will get some pics sorted.

Tool
    If you bought these from an authorized dealer, I would insist that the dealer work with Sram to make this right.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Wow, that doesn't even come close to fitting...I'll have to check the fit on mine.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

thecentralscrutinizer
    Just checked mine and they fit nearly perfect to the bars. Looks like the diameter of your bar is off, maybe it tapers gradually or something. Have you tried the single clamp that came with the brakes? That may work better.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    I've checked my new bars - they are definetly the correct size. I even checked them with a set of calipers just to make sure.

The same issue is present with the single clamp.

Addict
    Work through your LBS and I am confident SRAM will make it right. Why do I say this? Because I had the same problem and they did. Must have been a bad run of clamps. Sucks