mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sram 9.0 Hydros?

Hey, Im was in the market for a new set of hydros, and I've always wanted to try srams disc brakes. Since I always use sram derailleurs and shifters, and Im very confident with them, I figured their brakes would be just as reliable. Anyways, I found a brand new front and rear set on ebay for $185 for them, and seeing is how they got great reviews on this site, I took a chance and bought them. Just wondering if anyone has anything negative to say about them?
    Thanks

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

SRAM discs?

Do you mean the Avid disc brakes?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SRAM actually did make a Hydro disc brake

Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    Do you mean the Avid disc brakes?
    Nope he's not, SRAM actually did make some Hydraulic Disc Brakes a few years ago, I don't think they make them anymore. I saw this is an old magazine, don't know which though.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah, Im talking about the sram discs, I think they stopped making them in 2003. I probably should have gone with a newer set, but in my opinion, the hydro brakes havent come very far in the last few years ( except maybe the modulation adjust on the juicys and el caminos). I really like sram, so I went for them, I was just wondering what everyone thought!

Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    Nope he's not, SRAM actually did make some Hydraulic Disc Brakes a few years ago, I don't think they make them anymore. I saw this is an old magazine, don't know which though.

Chrome Toaster
    Yes SRAM made a 9.0 disc brake which was exactly the same as the old 4 piston Shimano XT's. Its just the Grimaca System 8 brake system which almost everyone has licensed. It performs exactly the same as the XT and Sys 8 given that its exactly the same brake. They use DOT fluid like Grimeca. Shimano changed the seals to use mineral oil. You should have just bought the XT's. They are cheaper new and you'll have a heck of a hard time finding spares such as hoses or seals for the Srams since they are DOT fluid only and not made anymore.
    Last edited by Hecubus; 02-08-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Chrome Toaster
    Ever wondered why they look so similar?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, how hard is it to find DOT fluid? If its going to be a big headache, I will just buy a different set, and sell the srams.

mtbr member
    Grimeca still makes the System 8 brakes and parts are still available. Your LBS should be able to order from a distributor. DOT fluid is what most other brakes use. Any auto parts store carries it even Walmart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domdil
    Hey, how hard is it to find DOT fluid? If its going to be a big headache, I will just buy a different set, and sell the srams.
    Last edited by lebikerboy; 02-09-2005 at 08:11 AM. Reason: DOT fluid

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Hoses are still available as made by Goodridge. I have a set of these brakes and upgraded them to the Goodridge lines. It was not cheap though!

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Yes SRAM made a 9.0 disc brake which was exactly the same as the old 4 piston Shimano XT's. Its just the Grimaca System 8 brake system which almost everyone has licensed. It performs exactly the same as the XT and Sys 8 given that its exactly the same brake. They use DOT fluid like Grimeca. Shimano changed the seals to use mineral oil. You should have just bought the XT's. They are cheaper new and you'll have a heck of a hard time finding spares such as hoses or seals for the Srams since they are DOT fluid only and not made anymore.

Chrome Toaster
    No problem with the DOT fluid, its available anywhere since its whats used in cars. The genuine sram replacements are what might be a problem. The grimeca parts SHOULD be perfectly compatible but finding Grimeca parts is probably not as easy in the US.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey, so what do I need to worry about? just finding small replacement parts? what about brake pads and lines?
    Thanks again

Chrome Toaster
    hey, so what do I need to worry about? just finding small replacement parts? what about brake pads and lines?
    Thanks again
    Brake pads are fine. They sell the pads as shimano/sram/grimeca compatible since they are exactly the same. Original lines will likely be a problem but there are after market lines that will fit, although possibly a lot more expensive. My biggest worry would bel, if for example you crash and bend or break a lever, you're going to have a hard time finding a replacement sram lever. An XT wouldn't work because of the different seals. I don't know if Sram keeps warranty stock on the parts for that model.