locked - time out
    Sep 2005

Sram 9.0 disc brakes

Will Shimano hose (like this SM-HOSE-060) work with these brakes? I need to shorten my Sram's but the the complete Shimano hose is cheaper than buying the individual banjo fittings at my LBS. Has anyone tried this?
    Last edited by XR4TI; 08-10-2010 at 07:37 PM.

...idios...
    Which brakes do you have? SRAM 9.0 refers, I believe, to your gear shifters, not your brakes; unless you have cable actuated brakes, in which case you won't be wanting hoses. Some clarification is required...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

locked - time out
    Sep 2005
    Sram 9.0 hydraulic 4 piston disc brakes from 02 03.
    Last edited by XR4TI; 08-10-2010 at 07:37 PM.

...idios...
    Crikey! I stand corrected and educated!

I (obviously!) can't help from experience, but I don't see any reason why the Shimano hose wouldn't fit, other than that the bolt threads may be different. This is rather unlikely, though.

Are you unable to simply re-use the original SRAM fittings? I'd imagine that there'll be a barbed insert and a brass olive under the shroud, both of which can probably be used again, so long as you take care not to damage them (especially the olive) when you remove them.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

locked - time out
    Sep 2005
    They're crimped. The only way is to cut the banjo fitting off. They are not reusable like the Goodridge etc...

29 some of the time...
    IIRC the original sram brakes were just rebadged Formula brakes. Get in touch with Formula, they are likely to be better equipped to get you back in business. I would be concerned about the mineral oil versus dot fluid. The shimano lines weren't designed with dot in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Former Bike Wrench
    Was thinking the same thing...SRAM (Formula) brakes used DOT fluid...not sure if the Shimano housing designed for mineral oil will be ok or not.

That's right, my bad...I do remember those being Gramica now
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 05-20-2009 at 09:35 AM.

locked - time out
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    IIRC the original sram brakes were just rebadged Formula brakes. Get in touch with Formula, they are likely to be better equipped to get you back in business. I would be concerned about the mineral oil versus dot fluid. The shimano lines weren't designed with dot in mind.
    Aren't they rebadged Grimeca System 8's? I hear what your saying about mineral oil vs dot. I talked to Shimano but they never really gave me an answer.

banned
    Formula didn't have anything to do with these brakes. It was Grimeca.

The SRAM 9.0, Shimano XT 755, and Grimeca S8's were all fairly similar, built off the same caliper, with generally different finishing and slightly different levers.

I remember at the time, bike mags were trying to get info out of SRAM or SHimano about the brakes, as if it wasn't obvious, but neither would talk about how they were identical, until they got down to the fluid.

In the case of the SRAM model, it used DOT. I would love to have gotten a set, and then in time, I could have mated them to any lever I wanted. However, that's what the Hope M4 became.

Good brake.

29 some of the time...
    JC, thanks for clearing up my muddy memory . I was thinking Formula due to the connection with the early Juicy design.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

locked - time out
    Sep 2005
    Found out the Shimano hose will not work with Dot fluid as thought. The Dot will supposedly eat the lining. I'll go with the Jagwire fittings and use my existing hose. Thanks everyone.