mtbr member

squeeling xt v-brakes and rear lever is mushy...

Anybody have remedies for squeeling xt v-brakes also the rear brake lever feels mushy. Pad alignment looks good and I also tried sanding the pads and lightly on the rims but the squeeling is driving me nuts...Help
    I can see myself wrecking and ruining but I can't stop myself...

Never enough time to ride
    I'm guessing you have the older parallelogram (spelling?) arms? If your lever is starting to feel mushy, your pads are hitting flat or have a bit of toe in (no more than 1 or 2mm) there's only a couple of other things to check, that I can think of.

On some of the linkage pivots there are some set screws to check, they don't generally come loose but from time to time I've seen this happen, it'll cause extra play in the pivots and make them chatter and squeel. Other wise it may be time to find a rebuild kit for your brakes and refresh all the pivots as they have worn and again are causing more slop in the pad than is normal and will cause chatter and squeel.

I could have missed a cause in there some where, and I'm not sure about the availability of the pivot kits any more as Shimano no longer makes the parallelogram brakes.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Meh.
    The squishiness could be attributed to housing compression or gunked up housing.