mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Squeeking Brakes...???

Okay I am perplexed by this. I have Magura brakes. I used them with silently for a couple of years (or at least so I remember) until I got centerlock wheels. When I did this I got XTR rotors and used them with wth Maguras and the squeeked pretty badly. I tried everything to include new pads and finally got rid of the rotors.

Now I have Magura rotors that I recently installed to solve the problem...but it did not fix it. So I tried new pads...again...and still did not fix it.

What's going on? I never recall have noisey brakes before, and now with two different sets of rotors and pads I can't seem to fix them and it all happened with the new rims.

I don't get it.

Is my memory bad? Do all disc brakes make some squeeking/squeeling noise and am I just having unrealistic expectations?

Again, I don't remember any issue at all with brake noise with fresh pads in the past.

thanks for your help

Matt

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am having a very similar issue. I have Hope Tech X2's and I ran gatorbrake rotors and the Hope rotors with no problems with organic and sintered pads. I recently changed my pads and had the new Avid XX rotors, and they squealed. I changed to Magura rotors, and have the same problem. I am also running them on my 29er, where on my 26er there was no problem. Sorry I don't have an answer, just looking for the same answer you are.

Ride or die
    Not sure that I have an answer for you, but in my experience squeaking or squealing brakes often result from a misadjusted caliper. So, here is what I would check first. Did you recenter your caliper after installing new wheels? There is always a bit of a difference between rotor placement in different rims, so one always needs to recenter the caliper to account for the differences.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikeloco View Post
    Not sure that I have an answer for you, but in my experience squeaking or squealing brakes often result from a misadjusted caliper. So, here is what I would check first. Did you recenter your caliper after installing new wheels? There is always a bit of a difference between rotor placement in different rims, so one always needs to recenter the caliper to account for the differences.

Sure did. Trued the rotor too. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think that I did since I believe that the rotors were rubbing a bit, but I will try it again and see. this is really frustrating though.

Would buying new brakes fix the probem...??? or not necessarily....??? I am almost willing to try a whole new brake set to fix this. It is pretty annoying

matt