mtbr member
    May 2008

Squealing / vibrating rear brake

My rear brake recently started squealing and vibrating on steeper descents (Avid Juicy 7s). I replaced the pads but that didn't help much. What should I do to fix this?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just saw this on the FAQ Brake section so will start troubleshooting tomorrow:
    MTBR.com Brake Time Forum - Disc Brakes FAQ

Why do my brakes squeal and how can I fix it?

First and foremost there is NO disc brake which NEVER squeals and NO disc brake type which ALWAYS squeals. Also there is no specific area where brakes have more problems. From super dry Scottsdale Arizona to wet Seattle there will be a few screaming brakes in every area of the country. Some brakes seem to have more problems than others but in general it's one of the following :

Dirty ( oily ) rotors - clean thoroughly with Isopropyl Alcohol
    Dirty ( oily ) pads - clean with Isopropyl alcohol, then use emery paper and scuff the pads. Remember they need to be newly bedded in, so the first stops are not what you expect. If braking power is drastically reduced, replace pads with new ones.
    Loose rotors and loose calipers - tighten them up.
    Loose cones in the hub - again tighten them.
    Loose spokes - sometimes you can detect this if you rub a little grease exactly where the spokes are crossing/touching each other. If the noise changes, then you need to retighten the spokes.
    Loose quick-release - especially on alloy dropouts the q/r sometimes works itself into the alloy, the tension gets less and the axle starts vibrating.
    Loose suspension bolts - seems to be a problem on the older I-drive bikes, but not only them. Check the owners manual for proper torques.
    Loose Headset - adjust to specifications.
    Loose .... loose... loose ANYTHING. Yes even a loose saddle can make a noise if vibrated by the brakes.
    Incorrect alignment - use a Gnann-o-mat or Hope Spot tool to machine the tabs or use the CPS on Avid brakes.
    But no matter what, some brakes just squeal. It seems like a lot of the problem comes from other parts of the bike where a harmonic vibration set up by the brakes manifests itself in an audible squeal. You have to work case by case, find the vibrating part and somehow cure it. I once had a squealing brake that was instantly cured by switching to a rotor from another manufacturer.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Let us know what you find... I was actually going to post about the exact same problem (but with a BB7). Every time I use my rear brake on my commuter, it makes the entire frame vibrate. Actual braking power is fine... just really noisy and annoying! I've checked the first 4 things in the list and those aren't the issue.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

disc brake quiet

Disc brake quiet spray form Autozone or etc will fix this problem. but remove the pads and spray and let sit for 10 mins

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wound up trying a few things and then decided to take it into the shop. Turns out that the cassette has dug into the freehub causing it to loosen and create some wobble. Both need to be replaced -- I need to buy a new cassette (and will also get a new chain) but WTB is covering the freehub under warranty which is pretty cool.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    that is pretty cool actually. i would have thought freehub bodies are considered to be consumables. tho i don't know how long you've had these....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
    that is pretty cool actually. i would have thought freehub bodies are considered to be consumables. tho i don't know how long you've had these....
    I had it for 2 1/2 years. The bike mechanic said that the freehub should be steel and not aluminum. I guess WTB agreed but still sent another aluminum one.

Anyway, WTB has always had excellent customer service in my experience and because of that, I'm much more inclined to buy their products.