Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Squealing bakes: a different question

678 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dogonfr 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm just curious to see how many of you have felt the same as I did today.

I have two bikes, a Trek 8000 with Avid BB7's and a Remedy 8 with Deore XT's. The former are dead silent, the latter squeal like a pig, specially the front.

In the past two weeks I've been riding exclusively the Remedy (new in the house) but today, because of a blown Lyric, I had to ride my hardtail. The weirdest thing is that I missed the squeal a lot. In the first hard braking points, I almost panicked because it seemed that I was not braking (but I was, the BB7's are very strong).

Although both brakes modulate very well, the squealing intensity gives me another feedback on how much power I'm putting to the breaks. Hence I missed it.

Moreover, squealing brakes are very useful to announce our presence to the pedestrians on the trails (even those stupid ones that go to the downhill trails with their iPods). With the squealing Remedy, when I see them, they are already out of trail, many of them frightened to death :p

So, who likes squealing brakes?

PS: damned typo in the title. It could have been babes, would be funnier.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.