mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Squeaky Juicy 7's

Hello All,

About 4 weeks into my new, 2007 Specialized Epic Expert and maybe I'm just being anal, but my brakes squeak. I don't hear them on the trail and I haven't noticed any resistance in tire rotation while on the trail, but when I clean my bike and give the wheels a spin, there is a small but noticeable misalignment. I brought the bike to the LBS and was told that the bikes will squeak now and then and that the amount I have is minor and that I shouldn't worry about it. I'm new to hydraulic disc brakes, love them, but like most of you out there, I'm anal about my bike. Anyone with any advice and please, use novice bike lingo. Thanks.

Emilio in AZ

Meh.
    Is it a sqeak? or a rubbing?

If it's rubbing, center the caliper. Loosen the two bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter (not the adapter to the frame/fork). The caliper should now be able to move side to side. Pump the lever a few times and then hold it. Tighten up those two bolts evenly a little at a time. Make sure the caliper does not shift while you are torquing down those bolts. It may take you a few tries to get it.

Since the bike is still new, the brakes need time to bed in. The noise and performance will get better after they are bedded.