mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Squeaky Brakes!!!

Just got an 08' Giant Talon and the brakes are just squeaking as soon as the back brake is aplied. First few rides, the brakes were sweet, but now they're just terrible. I believe they are Shimano M485 Hydros with 6" rotors. It is only the back brake. The brakes don't even work any more. It takes about 4m to come to a complete stop. I am used to Mechanical Shimanos and they were pretty good, better than these anyway. I thought Hydros are supposed to be better???
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks

...idios...
    First job is to check that that the caliper is aligned centrally over the rotor. This is best done with the pads removed. If you're using QR skewers, you need to develop a technique to ensure that you use the same tension each time to refit the wheels, otherwise you'll find the position of the rotor will differ relative to the caliper.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

ride hard take risks
    Are you possibly dragging the rear brake??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    First job is to check that that the caliper is aligned centrally over the rotor. This is best done with the pads removed. If you're using QR skewers, you need to develop a technique to ensure that you use the same tension each time to refit the wheels, otherwise you'll find the position of the rotor will differ relative to the caliper.
    Could you please say that in a dumb persons way. I'm a bit new to this whole brake idea.
    Sorry.

mtbr member
    Be aware that there is a recall of sorts out for the Shimano M485 brake. Some units are defective and will leak fluid around the caliper. If ANY gets on your pads, your brakes will squeal like no other and you will have no braking power. If the above suggestions don't help, I'd take it to the shop. Shimano has a new brake they are replacing these with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    that sucks.
    are you sure it was 08's
    ok thanks.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermo2
    that sucks.
    are you sure it was 08's
    ok thanks.
    Service Bulletin

http://bike-rack.com/page.cfm?pageID=394