mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Spongy Juicy 5`s Aargh !

As a quick recap to previous posts, after a year of riding on Hayes Stroker Rydes I went back to my Juicies as I was a bit sick of the on/off action of the Hayes.

I went from 1 extreme to the other :- the juicies (only the rear) wer biting virtually with the lever near to the bar and seemed to lack power from what I remembered. I tried playing with resetting caliper, pistons etc and eventually bit the bullet, got a bleed kit and bled the brake. THis seemed to make a slight improvement but now it was hard to lock up the brake so I suspected contaminated pads. I bought some new pads and after bedding them in they seemed ok - but again in normal (non-downhill) use I`ve got to get the lever to within an inch/inch & a 1/2 before they fully `bite`.

Last night I rebled the rear for the 3rd time and seemed to pull a lot of air out of the system which after bleeding so recently I wasnt really expecting. Took on a short ride and sure enough pulling the rear brake to a skid at the same close to the bars point.

The front brake, which has never been bled and has older pads in, still bites a good 3" from the bar.

The reach adjust on both brakes is identical

I`ve left the brake lever cable tied to the bar overnight to see if this makes any difference bgut am ready to go back to the Strokers and bin the Avids.

It could be my bleed procedure but I have followed the instructions to the letter using the recommended kit, could I be doing something to influence where the bite-point is inadvertantly ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Seems like your rear caliper seal is bad. Check both pistons for any signs of fluid. Given you pulled air out right after a bleed, something is letting air in, so a bad seal could do it.

I just bled my J's, all is great after they had run out of lever room on hard braking. About 18 months of service, 4 days per week.

Brianb