mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Spokes are rubbing on my brake calliper

No really sure how to fix this, I dont think putting a bigger rotor in will fix it either, I have tried spacing out the rotor but this made little difference.

What is happening is when the wheel spins, the spokes rub un the Juicy 7 caliper

Hub is a DMR Revolver SS Specific, frame is a DMR trailstar gen1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meh.
    I've heard of this issue with the DMR hub.

I know one user went to a larger rotor to solve the issue. Though the picture makes it look like the stays may not clear a larger rotor.

You may have to space the rotor out some more.

You can shave a tiny bit off the caliper, though I wouldn't recommend this.

I like Monkeys
    First thing to check is the dish of the wheel. Looking at the photos it appears to be way off to the left.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    DMR revolvers are renowned for this problem, they have a very wide flange spacing and it puts the spokes out at a large angle, makes for a strong wheel but results in issues like this.
    You options are:
    1: File off a bit of the back of the calliper at an angle parrallel to the spokes (this worked for me with an old shimano XT 4 pot but be carfule not to take too much off go through to the cylinder)
    2: Larger diameter rear disc and adaptor, this will effectively move the calliper up the wheel, +20mm disc (up from 165mm tp 185mm) should do the trick as it will move the calliper out by 10mm. To test this works before spending any money, try spacing the calliper out on some longer bolts and use some spacers to pack it out by 10mm.
    3: A couple of spacers between disc and hub, although you might not have enough outboard calliper adjustment to compensate for this.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A bigger rotor will not fit inside your rear chainstays I guess. Looking at the picture.
    But trying to space the rotor somewhat away from the hub is a good option. Syntace even has special spacers for that!

Last option in my eyes, making an other rearwheel with a hub that sets the spoke flange more to the right!

Good luck
    If You want Plush, Buy a Couch...
    If you want to go Fast, Buy a 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    get rotor shims and move the rotor out away from the hub about 1mm, the avid adapter should still easily adjust out. If need be you could go ever further then 1mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    cheers for the info, I ended up spacing the rotor and hub, this fixed the problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know this is an older thread but I'm just happy to find someone else that had this problem.

I have Juicy 5s and on my front wheel and this was happening to me. I had them on a 26 inch wheel with a Sun-Ringle hub and I thought I was just barely clearing the caliper but obviously not since it was clearly rubbing. Anyways, last night I tried to move that Juicy 5 over to a brand new 29er wheel and the caliper was rubbing the spokes so bad the wheel wouldn't even really turn. After trying spacers and racking my brain I couldn't think of any solution but to take the Juicy 5 off and put on an old mechanical disc which fit with no problems.

I may end up swtiching to a 185 to just be done with it because I like the brakes a lot. Or, I may buy something new. Should I be concerned about buying a different set of Avids because I obviously need a lower profile caliper on the front. I think they are a 2006 model so maybe things have changed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bigger rotor, big in front is good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Space the rotor out from the hub