mtbr member
    Jan 2004

"Spoke noise" when braking

My new bike has a set of Elixir RSL (7). On my last ride, it sounded like the spokes were making a loud creaking noise (almost like crossed spokes rubbing against each other) under even light braking. It happens on both brakes, but is way more pronounced on the front.

I haven't seen this described directly, but having read through a bunch of other posts, I'm guessing that this isn't the spokes making the noise at all, but the pads chattering against the rotor. Is this correct?

If so, I'm guessing I will need to try to bed the brakes in better, then move on to other troubleshooting (contaminated pads, etc) - probably will have LBS take a look at this point. Does this sound about right?

mtbr member
    Could it be just the pads really biting onto the rotor? Could be the spokes are loose and your diagnosis is spot-on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Possibly...brakes feel okay though. I haven't had this problem before, so not sure what the issue is. I think I'll probably take the bike to my LBS; now that the bike has settled in a bit, it should probably be tuned up anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just to close the loop here in case anyone searches for similar problem on their bike:

I took my bike to the LBS, and they indicated that the noise is the apparently common Avid 'gobbling'. Slightly annoying - was told organic pads may help.

I'm just happy that it's nothing harmful and there has been no affect on performance (BTW, these brakes are absolutely gorgeous in terms of power and modulation). I'll probably just wait until the pads need replacing, if I get too annoyed by the louder front brakes, or if I stumble upon a good deal on organic pads.

Cheers

Golden Bears United
    Try cleaning the rotors (and possibly pads) with rubbing alcohol to see if it helps. That worked for a lot of people. I set my Elixer 5 up recently and did not get that problem. I made sure to not let any fluid, oil, etc. to contaminate the pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool - will give that a try tonight and will report back

mtbr member
    Another thing you can try is shaving down the sharp edges on your rotors.
    Run your finger nail over the "holes" and you will see what i mean. I used a dremmel and it cut out 95% of the squeak. Note i havent had that gobble noise.
    I also use metallic pads

Sent from TapaTalk while i should be working.

Chamois Dropper

Similar issue

I just bought a bike with a new set of Elixir 3s and Shimano rotors. Once the brakes get warmed up I get a gobbling sound and feel a sort of of "bumpy" feedback through the lever. I'm not sure if this is normal, everything is clean. My old Hayes 9s were very needy for adjustment but i never felt anything through the lever. Any insight would be appreciated.Edit: I did read the stickied thread about Shimano rotors and other manufacturer's calipers, my alignment looks perfect...
    Last edited by natzx7; 04-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wiped down with isopropanol - gobbling disappeared but so did my braking power. Once the braking power returned, so did the noise.

Not sure I'll try dremeling the rotor edges down (there is a lot of edge)! In any cadsase, the actual brake function is fine (awesome, actually), so I'll probably just deal with the noise until I replace the pads.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

mtbr member
    Just ordered some pads for my marta sl brakes. I was told that sometimes mixing pads can help with noise also. I ordered the ebc gold Dh and the xc green organic pad. One green and gold on each wheel. If it doesn't work I will just pair them up.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares