mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Spoke hitting inside caliper of Tektro Novela

Hey all,

Just had my brakes (Tektro Novela mechanical disk brakes) adjusted quickly at my LBS, quick and dirty job as I couldn't leave it with them until Wednesday. They seemed to fix my prior issues of the adjustment for the brakes themselves, and upon leaving the store, everything seemed great. I took the front wheel off to load it in my SUV, and upon getting home and putting the wheel back on, the inside caliper gets rubbed up against by one of the spokes and is really annoying. They said that the original shop I bought it from never should have put the rotor that they did on, but instead should have put a 7" one, but they got it tuned in pretty good before leaving. The only thing I could think of that would cause this is if I had the lever too tight (therefore pulling fork together at the ends), so I loosened it up, and even on an extremely loose setting the spoke still slides against the caliper.

Any tips that I can do before my 7am ride with my local meetup group? The LBS is closed for the day and riding how it is now would be very annoying and emberassing. Thanks for any tips you can give.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just a little more info on this:

I turned the bike upside down to check how true the wheel was, and some of the spokes were too tight/loose (ever so slightly). Now I have it as best as I can get it without a professional device, but the one spoke that hit before is still sliding against the caliber. I loosened the quick release, took the wheel off, put it back on and tightened back up. Without closing the quick release lever, the spoke doesn't touch the caliper but has hardly any clearance. Closing the lever to proper compression (even less than) gives it that ever-so-slight pressure that causes contact to happen between the caliper and spoke.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Alright, cancel this request. I couldn't stand the thought of making the others in my meetup tomorrow put up with the sound, so I took things apart and figured it out. One problem was that there were a few other spokes that were too loose on the alternate side of the spoke that was touching the caliper, so I tightened those up a bit. Then, the two mounting bolts that attach the calipers to the fork, the top one that can swivel a bit was too far in, so I brought it out a little. Before doing that though, I took the disk pads out and switched them since they seemed to sit more flush and even than how they were before (I would presume they're ok on either side). After all that I obviously had to do a little adjustment on the cable tension, etc, but now the wheel spins freely and without any noise whatsoever. The brakes in front also respond significantly better than the rear, so I went ahead and tightened the cable up slightly on that one too.

The only question I have is, there's not a whole lot of disk exposed on the stationary caliper (a little more than 1/2 of what is visible of the disk pad on the caliper that moves), is this OK? I would imagine that I simply would have to tighten the stationary adjustment bolt to accommodate for the disk being worn down as time goes on, but is there anything else that I'm not thinking about?

For a complete novice, I feel accomplished tonight. Hah.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You're thinking about it just fine! Like you said, just keep an eye on pad wear and adjust the inboard pad as necessary from time to time. There's nothing wrong with the setup the way you have it. Ride on!

On another note, I remember having issues with some Tektro mechanical brake that could not be adjusted properly without the caliper itself hitting the brake rotor. The flange where it bolts to the frame was two wide and would contact the rotor...bad design, IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah, it doesn't seem like the best design to me either, still being so close to the rotor and spokes. But if I upgrade to a 7" rotor, that will give it some extra clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea, well they seem like pretty solid performing brakes other than that, so hopefully you're good from here on out

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If you back the inner pad right off so there's a gap between the rotor & pad you might be able loosen the caliper bolts and reposition the caliper further outwards away from the spokes.