mtbr member
    May 2013

Splurge for Shimano Ice Tech rotors, yes?

So, I just bought a new set of Shimano XT brakes, with adapters. I was planning on using them with a new pair of Alligator Wind-Cutter rotors that I have. However, I got to thinking about the Shimano Ice Tech rotors over the past weekend. Should I just go ahead and splurge for a pair of them, too? Would it be worth another +/- $100 more to have Ice Tech rotors with the new Shimano XT brake kit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes splurge on the ice tech rotors. You will not disappointed. I have them on my DH matched with XT brakes

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Splurge for Shimano Ice Tech rotors, yes?

I don't live in an area with a lot of elevation change such as retrofred. If I did, I would assume his advice is sound. If you don't live in area with much elevation change, then I think the ice tech rotors aren't necessary. I have xtr brakes and use the cheap Ashima rotors. They work great with the shimano brakes and I never sense any fade. It is also nice when I eventually bend the rotors. Doesn't matter who makes the rotor, I will somehow find a way to bend them. I much prefer replacing a $15 rotor over a $60+ rotor. Again though, I just live in a hilly area of the US. We don't really have long, sustained downhills past about 1.5 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I do agree that if your in an area that is mostly flat or with not of elevation, go with standard rotors. I am going to be putting SLX brakes on my Enduro and will using regular rotors rather than the Ice Tech rotors. More cost effective

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry, guys... Too late... I ordered a pair of the Ice Tech rotors yesterday evening. Thanks a bunch for talking me into it, too! :-)

On a different note... Yeah, there are some areas/trails where I ride that have pretty long, sustained downhill sections. I typically don't fly down them, either. So, I do need/want a really good brake set-up to handle it. So, with that said, I guess I obviously didn't mind splurging for the "better" rotors then. I just hope they really are better, and worth the extra Benjamin. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you don't mind, once you get them could you let us know if it was worth it or not. I've recently bought the XTs and have been wondering about exactly the same thing. I'm still running stock rotors at the moment which work fine, but still... Upgrade urge

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What sort of riding are you doing? For me, I run 8" ice tech rotors front and back. Probably don't need the 8 in the back, but I'm a heavy rider and like extra stopping power

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nothing major, commuting and XC. I'm not that heavy either, but I tend to think I might as well have brakes as good as possible, right? I'm really curious just how much difference they might make.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Irothe View Post
    If you don't mind, once you get them could you let us know if it was worth it or not. I've recently bought the XTs and have been wondering about exactly the same thing. I'm still running stock rotors at the moment which work fine, but still... Upgrade urge
    Will do... Same here. Stopped by an LBS up in OR last Saturday, and saw a bike decked out with the full XT set-up, including rotors. The "visual" haunted me for the rest of the weekend, and so it just had to be done last night. :-)

mtbr member
    I have been using the ice-tech rotors for over a year now - in my opinion, they are good, but do NOT offer more overall stopping power.

Where they do excel is dissipating heat more effectively, and help prevent brake fade (not increasing overall power)

So in a nutshell, if you are not currently experiencing issues with your brakes fading (getting weaker towards the end of a long DH run) then I probably would save the money and not bother.

If you are looking to save a little bit of weight, or are currently experiencing brake fade issues, then the investment in Ice-Tech is a worthwhile option.

Likewise for the ice-tech "finned" brake pads - if you are not currently experiencing brake fade, I would not bother with those pads - and get the benefit of a small weight savings plus cheaper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Personally i don't like the finned pads. While i'm sure that they dissipate heat better with the fins, i think the compound leaves something to be desired (at least with the standard compound). I'm well aware that there are other Shimano compounds and i haven't tried them all, so maybe there are much better ones. I didn't think the finned pads were as good as some of the cheaper aftermarket stuff. My TruckerCO pads have way more bite and much less fade than the finned pads. I suspect they'd have more chance of overheating, but i haven't had that problem yet.

If anything i think the reason to buy the Shimano ICE stuff is to run a smaller size. For example if I normally ran a 180 on the front, i could probably save some weight by running a 160 with the ICE tech and not have any complaints. But given that a 180 Ashima is not much heavier and 4x cheaper, i don't think i'll care to find out...