mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here. Splined rotors... Shimano vs. Avid... Compatability?

I'm new to disc brakes. I've just received a brand new bike from an online dealer with Avid mech 5's and XT rotors. Should there be a compatability issue here? My LBS noticed that the Avid pads' surfaces are bigger than the XT rotors' braking surfaces. This is the way my bike (which I purchased from a pre-existing online build sheet) was spec'd from the online shop, and I have experienced pulsing with my rear brake. The new XT hubs require the XT or XTR splined rotor vs. normal 6-bolt, which apparently limits rotor selection to Shimano. Anyone else have experience with this? Are there other splined rotors out there that would be compatable with my Avid mech if the XT's aren't?

I liked the simplicity of the mech brake, and the rave reviews of the Avid mech sold me. However, I'm not entirely convinced that they're compatable with the XT rotor with performance thus far. I wish I knew about the splined hub thing before purchasing the bike spec'd the way it was. I'm thinking about selling my Avid mech setup (SD-7 levers, flack jacket cables, and Avid mech 5 calipers) and investing in XT or XTR hydros for piece of mind. Are there other caliper options (mech OR hydro aside from Shimano) that would be compatable with my splined XT hubs and XT rotors?

Can anyone recommend a lightweight and relatively hassle-free brake setup that would allow me to keep my wheels "as is"? I'm getting my hands more dirty with my bike every day, but I'm not a trained mechanic. I have an inherent fear of a hydro line braking on me on an epic ride...thus my interest in mechs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The pulsing is probably from the pads grabbing the rotor arms.

You can get centerlock to 6 bolt rotor adaptors. I would call the place you bought the bike and ask them to exchange your rotors.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

One problem...

I had a hard enough time getting my bike to my doorstep. Now, I'm going to finish this deal either with my LBS or another online shop. Exchanging with the original online shop is pretty much out-of-the-question. Where can I find those adapters?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by MidshipmanX; 02-02-2005 at 11:14 PM.

BAR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The XTR rotor will fit XT hubs but that might not fix your problem. Jenson sells an adapter that may help.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BR605Z00

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Additional requirements?

Using said adapter, would I need a spacer or adapter to adjust the alignment of the rotor with the caliper? I would think that the adapter would move my rotor outwards by a good 1/8" or more. Thanks.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The pulsing is probably from the pads grabbing the rotor arms.
    It is. I ran XT rotors with Juicy 7s for a bit to see if it'd work. They worked fine, but had a slight pulsing problem. I dremmeled them (same fix as the pulsing Juicy's) and that worked out.

Still, though, I would go with the IS 6 bolt adapter and get some Avid rotors. More braking surface = more braking power.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

That's the one. Your LBS can order it from QBP.
    mtbtires.com

Nope. Designed to work as-is. I would recommend Galfer rotors BTW. Longer pad life and better in the wet than the Avids
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Options

I guess one option then is to purchase 2 adaptors and 2 rotors. I probably need new pads too, since the rotor arms most likely caused uneven wear on the current pads. At best, this comes out to $116.

Option 2 would be to purchase 2 adaptors and 2 Avid Ball Bearing 7 brakes (upgrade), which come with calipers, rotors, and pads. At Cambria, I can dig up a price of $178.

Is the $62 difference justifiable by the added features of the Avid BB7 vs. Avid BB5? I couldn't find weight characteristics. Anyone know 'em?

Also, has anyone used these splined-to-6-bolt adaptors? I'm 185lbs and slightly worried about compromising the strentgh of my bike's braking hardware.

Still like the idea of mechs...

Thanks!
    Last edited by MidshipmanX; 02-03-2005 at 01:43 AM.

hands up who wants to die
    You can get Avid BB7s cheaper, probably from Jensonusa.com and ebay. Other places too.

I think the new BB5s offer less pad adjustments, and would therefore make set-up and ongoing adjustment less fool-proof. Read the reviews and see what you think.

All disc brakes are relatively heavy, and I believe Avid's are some of the heavier ones out there (depending on brake lever choice: I'm talking complete brake system weight (lever, cable, rotor, caliper). I don't think there will be any significant weight different between BB5 & BB7, if that's what you're asking.

-rob in NY

I would avoid the BB5 for adjustment reasons.
    mtbtires.com