mtbr member

Speed Dial TI levers?

There's a guy on eBay who routinely sells Avid Speed Dial TI levers. I bought a set once, because I like the finish, and they work well. But I'm curious, because I see no mention of these levers on Sram's website. Outside of eBay and that one seller, they don't seem to exist.

Here's a link to the levers on eBay, for anyone who's curious:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVID-Speed-Dial-...3%3A1|294%3A50

But why don't they show on Avid's website? Are they a just a bunch of old stock that this guy has stashed away? Are they OEM?

The eBay listing says that the hardware is titanium, which I presume means just the few bolts and such. Does that really save me all that much weight?

I like the set that I have, and I may buy another, but it makes me nervous to buy parts from eBay that don't seem to exist anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    http://www.sram.com/en/service/avid/...D=1&subcatID=3

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/brake...71_106crx.aspx

Since they show up on the sram.com support site I'd say Avid did carry a product by that name. Now take note of the user reviews on mtbr.com - recent ones list eBay as the seller, older ones come from a variety of online sites. My guess would be that Avid discontinued the product around 2003-2004.

Of course, that says nothing about the provenance of your levers or the integrity of the seller. All of the standard eBay warnings will still apply, so caveat emptor...

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I don't mind NOS. I was just more curious than anything else.

Weekend Warrior
    I bought them and the cool thing about the Ti's is they have the same adjustments as the Ultimates. So I went and bought a second set as a backup just in case my first set ever brakes, and the price was right. Also I like the Color/Finish as well. As far as I was able to research they were produced all the way up to 2004.

There was another wired lever set from avid that looked like a bright copper, but can't remember what they were called. The Ti's were the top of the line levers, until the Black Ops or whatever that thing was called came out. I think the Ultimate is a direct replacement for the Ti's? I might be wrong.

The bottom line is, they are light (not significant), very Strong, highly adjustable and at least as good if not better than the SD7s.

sh*t disturber
    Looks like old school, pre-SRAM Avid stuff to me. I've always had good luck with those levers and have a few sets kicking around in my parts bin.

agu
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic

There was another wired lever set from avid that looked like a bright copper, but can't remember what they were called. The Ti's were the top of the line levers, until the Black Ops or whatever that thing was called came out. I think the Ultimate is a direct replacement for the Ti's? I might be wrong.
    The copper ones were the Mag (for Magnesium) levers

Lets RIDE!
    The Ti's are just a few grams lighter than the current SL's. Nice looking levers, but I ended up with the SL's because I found a great price.

The Ultimates are significantly lighter, and significantly more expensive.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

metrotuned WoS
    I have a couple pairs I bought from that seller. Great product, to me, they make the Ultimates unnecessary. And for around 20-30 depending on who's bidding, price is right. NOS for sure, pre-SRAM and definitely can see them being a poor mans Ultimate lever set. They look almost alike (yes the split clamp and CNC explains the difference in $ between the two) and have the speed dial which is the most important. The finish is sweet, a ti grey color. Who cares about the ti hardware, probably a gram savings.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by agu
    The copper ones were the Mag (for Magnesium) levers
    Here's a copper coloured one with 'Ti' stamped on it: Link

Just noticed in the previously posted Ti links the levers were copper coloured too:
    Last edited by cobba; 06-26-2009 at 06:55 AM.

agu
    mtbr member
    woops. i stand corrected then!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    There was copper colored MAG levers too: Avid SD-MAG Lever Photo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TabascoJoe
    They look like they are NOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Thanks everyone. I don't mind NOS. I was just more curious than anything else.

metrotuned WoS
    peter, perfect. I NEED NOS! NOW! NOS!